FORUMS: list search recent posts

Quality loss with mpeg2

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Darren Hugh
Quality loss with mpeg2
on Jul 21, 2011 at 2:12:47 am

Hi there.

I've got a question I really would like share, and hopefully there's someone who's got a descent enough answer for me.

Ive got a problem with the quality of rendered mpeg files. The Avi files tend to look much better on the computer then the mpeg2 files, that is also the case when I render a dvd with the mpeg2 files and watch the dvd on my computer. Is this normal, or is there something Ive done wrong? Ive used the best possible settings I can. The Avi file looks far more sharper then the mpeg2 file, and it annoys me alot.

Here's some screen shots I did, with mpeg2 to the left and avi to the right. The quality is much more noticeable when playing though.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/51/testju.png/

I really want to get the best possible quality in my dvd, but im not sure if it will look better when I watch it on the tv, as I currently dont have any free dvd's to use to burn it.

reagrds.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Quality loss with mpeg2
on Jul 21, 2011 at 3:41:36 am

That looks about right... DVDs are highly compressed.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and GoPro HD Hero.

Return to posts index

Darren Hugh
on Jul 21, 2011 at 12:56:20 pm

But will it look any better when I try watching it on the tele with a dvd-player? Also I Thought DVD Architect PAL Video Stream was the same was PAL DV Avi, just that the mpeg one is already compressed for dvd...

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Jul 21, 2011 at 1:06:09 pm

The footage looks fine.

You'll never match the original

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Jul 22, 2011 at 2:14:06 pm

Please understand that an MPEG-2 for DVD file is several times smaller than the original DV .avi file - the extra compression discards a lot of data. That doesn't mean the DVD needs to look bad necessarily - compression settings can have a lot to do with that, as well as which encoder you're using, as some produce better results than others.

How are you encoding the footage - what is the source, and what are the compression settings?

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Darren Hugh
on Jul 26, 2011 at 12:29:55 am

I'm not really much into it, but what I do is I choose "MainConcept MPEG-2" and then "DVD Architect Pal widescreen video stream".

Ive posted a screenshot below to show my customized settings.

Any advices or some kind of help bout what I can do to
manage better quality on my mpeg-2 files?

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Jul 26, 2011 at 1:20:14 am

Your bitrate is way too high. Bring that down to 8 or so

Return to posts index

Darren Hugh
on Jul 26, 2011 at 1:39:58 am

Wouldnt that just make the outcome quality even more shit? LoL, nah I read some dvd plYers cannot play that high bitrate yea.. Anyone got any advices?

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jul 26, 2011 at 1:49:32 am

No player will handle that, If you are replicating you can go as high as 8, 8.5Mbps on the video if you are making the audio ac3. But for DVD-R you really should not go higher than 7, 7.5 max.

Are you changing the GOP structure, adding more I-Frames than the default. If you are you need to reset it to the default GOP structure.

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Jul 26, 2011 at 1:56:40 am

But your video looks fine so just keep your bitrtaes conservative and your fine.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]