FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to burn a DVD from an HD clip

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremy Hansen
How to burn a DVD from an HD clip
on Jul 11, 2011 at 11:02:26 pm

Hello,

I know this has been asked time and again but I cannot find the exact solution in the forums to what I'm looking for.

I'm simply trying to use Adobe Encore to make a DVD from a 1280x720 clip. I understand that the maximum DVD resolution is 720x480 in NTSC.

What is the best way to keep the aspect ratio of 16:9 intact and make it fit in the DVD resolution? From what I can tell with encore, it is letter boxing it to fit in a 4:3 format which makes the image painfully small. Is there a way to set it so that it will fill out to 16:9 on a DVD player and revert to 4:3 if widescreen is not an option?

How do commercially available DVDs do it to fill the screen?

Thank you for your time.

- Jeremy

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: How to burn a DVD from an HD clip
on Jul 12, 2011 at 12:37:22 am

You want a 16:9 NTSC video- here's more info on this:

http://dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html#3.5

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and GoPro HD Hero.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Jul 12, 2011 at 4:56:09 pm

I export my HD timeline to a QT .mov and do the encode in BitVice as I explained previously. BitVice does a great downscale at the same time and you can set the aspect ratio you want. I then format in Studio Pro and burn in Titanium Toast. I get a great DVD which plays in every machine I've ever seen.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Sue Black
on Jul 14, 2011 at 1:59:40 am

Michael you state that your scratch file has 1080i and 720p video so this means that you are using this video to burn DVDs?

I have burned 1080i HDV and pro ress 422 video to a standard DVD the quality seems superior to the regular standard 720 DVD BUT my video comes out with lines that look as if the video was taken in extreme heat with heat waves rising from the video.

Have you had this problem and if so how have you fixed it????

Aso I read your article on burning blue ray to a DVD5 but you state that once it is done the DVD5 can only be played on a blue ray player on not on my Mac SuperDrive and/or on anyone elses computer or a regular DVD player --- is this correct did I understand what you were saying correctly?

I have been determined to get a better DVD output because my original video is so good 1080i but until I read your article I did not realize that my Mac SuperDrive could produce a blue ray DVD.

All in my compressor which came in my FCP 7 there is a setting for H.264 10.3Mbps will that work on a standard DVD and will it give me better quality?

I would appreciate any suggestions which you could give me.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Jul 14, 2011 at 10:25:28 am

No Sue, sorry, you misunderstand me. I don't mix codecs, I'm only editing in Apple ProRes 422 HQ. It's 1920 X 1080i and I keep that right through to my export to QT .mov I've never stayed with HDV, when I used to shoot that I upscaled straight away through the Convergent Design upscaler. Now I shoot 1929 X 1080i with the Sony EX 1 camera at 35 mbps VBR and take that in to Media 100 in the ProRes codec.

I'm afraid I've never written about burning Blu-Ray on anything other than a dedicated BD burner. I;ve heard that some people can do this in other ways but not me. I merely drag my HD ProRes exported .mov into Toast Titanium version 11 and that does the rest, provided of course, that I have my stand alone Lacie BD burner connected to my MacPro.

For DVD's (which I understand you are concerned with) you probably won't improve on what you'll get by using BitVice as I've explained in a previous post. DVD is using MPEG 2 which is very compressed, there's no getting away from this but my workflow makes the best of it I've found. I keep clear of Compressor and H264 although for certain outputs such as the web they are very useful.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Sue Black
on Jul 14, 2011 at 6:52:09 pm

Michael,

Thank you for your response. I guess that I really am confused. So you are using toast to burn Blue Ray DVDs after you work with and compress your 1080I video and take it to DVD Studio Pro to turn it into a DVD?

I keep all of my files on a lacie harddrive I don't know if its a BD Burner as you referred to.

All I have is a IMac with a superdrive and my software is the educational version of FCP 7 that comes with compressor and DVD Studio Pro. I quess I was confused someone on COW wrote an article on burning blue ray using the superdrive of the IMac but he said that the blueray would not play on the IMAC again and that it would only play on blueray players.

Can I just plug my lacie harddrive into a TV and play my 1080i HD movie that way and forget about DVDs?

What is the very best codec that I can use to get High quality DVD outputs?

Sue

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Jul 14, 2011 at 9:41:08 pm

Sue, you are as confused as Anna is, please read my post addressed o her as well as this. Are you only talking about Blu-Ray? These are for HD material and are very different from DVD's which are only for SD material.

For Blu-Ray I do not use Studio Pro, there is no need as Toast 11 Pro does the whole job provided you give it a suitable file which in my case is my exported QT ProRes HD (1920 X 1080i) .mov file. No I don't believe you can just plug your hard drive into a TV.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]