FORUMS: list search recent posts

Toast 9 BD-R burn has constant jump cuts...!

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alan Langdon
Toast 9 BD-R burn has constant jump cuts...!
on Jul 5, 2011 at 9:15:47 pm

The need to have a simple BluRay disk of a short film came up, with no menus.
So I thought Toast 9's BD burning would do fine: what could go wrong?
I already had the BD-R plugin intaled in Toast, by the way.

So I dropped my master file (settings listed here) into Toast, under BluRay category.

MASTER FILE TO BE ENCODED:
Data Size: 4.24 GB
Bit Rate: 52.82 Mbps
Video Tracks:
Apple Intermediate Codec, 1280 × 720, 29.97 fps, 51.29 Mbps
Audio Tracks:
16-bit Little Endian stereo, 48 kHz, 1.54 Mbps
Stream Files:
Go, Dog, Go! #4 Ushuaia.mov (4.24 GB)

HARDWARE: MacMini 2010, 4GB ram, burning to a Lacie external DVD/BD-R burner drive which gets both energy and data from 2 USB cables (Y-cable), so it has no AC-adaptor.
MEDIA: Ridata Recordable BD-R, recorded at 2x

Then I set the encoding quality to 10 mbps average and 16 mbps maximum, Best Quality (slider) and Half-PEL,
codec: MPEG AVC, audio 256 kbps...

The problem, quite serious, is that when I play the DVD on BD players, the image keeps "jump cutting" (skipping) frames/seconds forward, while the sound runs continuously. So after a little while the image is not only constantly chopped up, it is out of synch with the audio, which lags behind (although with no jumps in the audio, it is smooth).

Should I have chosen the MPEG-2 codec?
Seems like there's not much to go wrong, and yet I managed to make a unusable BD disk. I have a clinet coming in to make a BD disk soon, and am at a loss: is it the master file? The codec Toast used?

Any help much appreciated!

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
Re: Toast 9 BD-R burn has constant jump cuts...!
on Jul 7, 2011 at 12:12:29 pm

I use Toast 11 Pro for BD's and am getting brilliant results although I do find that 'fast forward' only allows 2X before freezing, stepping forward through scenes is OK though. I earlier used Toast 10 (with BD plug in) but didn't know that version 9 did BD's. I have been advised to choose the MPEG 4 codec and I use the Toast pre sets for data which seem similar to what you quoted. My stand alone burner is the same as yours too. Try Toast 11 Pro, it certainly works for me. I'm editing 1920 X 1080i in the Apple ProRes 422 HQ codec and just dragging to Toast my exported file as a QT .mov.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Alan Langdon
Re: Toast 9 BD-R burn has constant jump cuts...!
on Jul 7, 2011 at 1:06:15 pm

Many thanks for the info, I will try Toast 11.02 Pro.
:)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]