FORUMS: list search recent posts

Making the best quality dvd possible

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vasja Mihelcic
Making the best quality dvd possible
on Jun 22, 2011 at 6:26:38 am

Hello,

I have a 9 min. of video exported in XDCAM EX 1080i50pVBR. What are the best settings possible to burn on DVD to get as much of full hd picture quality out. Are there any special DVDs on whom you can burn hdv video?
FInal cut studio user.
Burning the dvd with compressor.

Cheers

Vasja

Return to posts index

Vasja Mihelcic
Re: Making the best quality dvd possible
on Jun 22, 2011 at 7:11:32 am

I have to play with bit rates...but i dont know how high can i go, that i dont get like distortion of the picture. Now its, 2,39gb and bit rate 34,752 dimension 1920x1080 codec MPGE-2 VIDEO of 9 minutes of video.

Return to posts index

Filip Kubis
on Jun 22, 2011 at 8:06:14 am

DVD is antient technology. Maximum resolution is 720x576 for PAL (16:9 it is 1024x576) you will not get more on a DVD to be playable on DVD players. DVD has its maximum bitrate waaaaaay under 34Mbit you used. Somwere around 8Mbit i guess. Please do use the Bitrate calculator down in my signature to calculate maximum bitrate you can give your DVD.

I calculated it to 7,8 MBit CBR (with AC3 192 audio). I do not believe giving it more will be safe.

This is the cruel reality of DVDs they use Mpeg 2 and are veeeeeery conservative. What is going to be the use of the DVD? If it does not necessarily need to play on DVD player but lets say a PC I would suggest you using digital standalone file such as H264 (x264) ...

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
DVD bitrate calculator: HERE
DVD Bit Budgeting tool: HERE
Dual-Layer Break tutorial: HERE
Anit-aliasing PS plugin: HERE
Other very useful stuff: HERE

Return to posts index

Vasja Mihelcic
on Jun 22, 2011 at 11:23:13 am

Uff...but thx.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Jun 22, 2011 at 11:44:25 am

The advice on Bit Rates is generally agreed. I wouldn't use Compressor for encoding DVD, I consider the best encoding software to be BitVice. That allows you to choose an average bit rate over two passes and it gives me very good DVD's from my EX footage transcoded to Apple ProRes 422 HQ. If you have HD material why not make Blu-Ray discs and make the very best of your HD footage as you appear to want to do? Titanium Toast 10 or 11 does a great job with BD's but you'll need a stand alone BD burner (not expensive today).

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Jun 22, 2011 at 12:51:32 pm

Just to be clear, Bitvice is the best encoder you can use on the Mac :)

Return to posts index

Phil Bates
on Jun 29, 2011 at 11:39:36 pm

How does Bitvice compare to the encoder built into Encore? Is it possible to use Bitvice encoded movies in Encore?

Thanks,
P

Phil Bates
http://www.artbeats.com

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Jun 30, 2011 at 3:18:26 pm

I believe that the Encore encoder is pretty good. You ask whether "BitVice encoded movies can be used in Encore" The question perhaps should be reversed because presumably you are encoding from Encore, not to it. BitVice is a stand alone application which accepts a file such as a QT .mov exported from a timeline and encodes to an M2V (for video) and an ac3 Dolby audio file. It also downscales an HD file at the same time. I then mix and format these files in DVD Studio Pro and burn the resultant .img file in Toast. So why go back to the edit application?

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Phil Bates
on Jun 30, 2011 at 3:38:38 pm

Michael, thanks for replying.

I am not sure I understand your post, so maybe I should back up.

I am having difficulty with aliasing on DVDs authored with Encore. I was hoping that if I used a different transcoder, and imported those movies into Encore for authoring maybe that problem would be solved. (Since Bitvice is not a DVD authoring application, I presumed that I had to go back to Encore.)

Thanks,
Phil

Phil Bates
http://www.artbeats.com

Return to posts index

Dave Haynie
on Jun 24, 2011 at 8:48:55 pm

Actually, DVD is 720x576 PAL, 720x480 NTSC, max, whether 4:3 or 16:9. You might do well to start a PAL project at 1024x576 if you're dealing with the world of square pixels and HD, since few modern video formats support rectangular pixels. But the resulting MPEG-2 to disc will always be 720x576@50i for PAL.

-Dave

Return to posts index

James Reeve
on Jul 28, 2011 at 11:19:54 pm

So may I just clarify something? One can store anything on a DVD, even HD footage at very high resolution (eg. 1920x1080). The problem is that standard DVD players can't play it, right?

So if our motivate is to reproduce our wonderful original HD footage as best as possible, there's nothing we can do with DVDs that will produce better resolution and be playable on home DVD players (even if it is only a 10 minute video, and there's plenty of room on the DVD for it)?

Return to posts index

Dave Haynie
on Jul 29, 2011 at 2:47:04 am

[James Reeve] "So may I just clarify something? One can store anything on a DVD, even HD footage at very high resolution (eg. 1920x1080). The problem is that standard DVD players can't play it, right?
"

That is correct. A DVD is always a data disc. There are a few formats -- specific collections of directories and files, which go on a DVD in such a way that appliance-type devices understand them. These including things like DVD-Video and DVD-Audio. Most Blu-ray players understand one additional format, the AVCHD DVD, which is "HD Video shot on camcorder", at least originally (of course, it's also used on memory cards today).

So as I mentioned, the video and audio formats for DVD players are fixed in stone. If you want to make a DVD that plays on a regular DVD player, that's what you create: MPEG-2 at 720x480 or 352x480, or MPEG-1 352x240, 60i or 24p, or 720x576 or 352 x 576 in MPEG-2, 352x288 in MPEG-1, 50i. Those are representations of standard definition, and the only thing conventional DVD players will ever play as a standard. Period. Anything even slightly higher resolution is not a DVD standard.

This is exactly why the Blu-ray standard was created -- we needed a disc format for HD. DVD is and always will be SD. No loopholes, period.

-Dave

Return to posts index

Rob Robertson
on Sep 30, 2013 at 4:32:28 am

Could someone please explain to me why I put a store bought Standard (Not Blu-Ray) DVD in my computer, the image is crisp and clear and perfect full screen. Looks like HD to me. When I burn my own standard DVD from a video file that looks just as sharp and just as high resolution as the store-bought DVD and then play it back, it looks like absolute crap! If NO standard DVD can record at anything above 720X480 NSTC, then how do Store Bought DVDs have such great quality on a 1920 X1080 screen while a DVD I burn (No matter what software I use or what settings I use has only a fraction of the original quality of the source file and looks about as good as an old worn VHS tape when viewed full screen on the same monitor. Makes me believe that there is one set of DVD authoring software for commercial applications, and another for the general public. Can anyone explain the disparity to me?

I have spent hours searching the web for the secret of burning a DVD that looks as good as a store-bought DVD (assuming I have High Quality, HD footage to start with...which I do) and can't even find people asking this obvious question.

Return to posts index

Morten Kristiansen
on May 14, 2014 at 11:12:21 am

I am having the same experience. Great quality on DVDs I rent/buy and crap DVD quality of the ones I burn myself. Aliasing and pixelated.

Return to posts index

Steve Curtis
on May 18, 2016 at 2:30:50 am

So explain to me how Hollywood continually puts their very high quality film products onto a regular DVD, they are more often than not OVER 2 hours in length, and they look fantastic? How does that work? I want to make that same kind of product. I have a feeling it's a special disk, and not a DL either. What is it?

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on May 26, 2016 at 2:26:19 pm

First off, the Hollywood source video is cleaner and higher resolution than most of us can accomplish with consumer/prosumer gear. Most camcorders today are recording using AVCHD at 24mbps (very highly compressed) with 4:2:0 8-bit color (low fidelity), so the source is weak to begin with.

Hollywood uses a $30K+ encoding system like Scenarist with a professional Compressionist operating the system and tweaking the compression levels on a scene by scene basis to do the MPEG-2 encoding.

The Hollywood DVDs are Dual-Layer discs with double the capacity of the standard 4.7GB DVD-R discs, so they have room to increase the data rate for better quality. So, many factors are involved.

I've never had good luck converting 1080i HD to DVD using standard Adobe encoding tools. I use third-party apps that are free to get really nice DVDs that look great on an HDTV. Using Virtual Dub, HD2SD plugin, HC Encoder for MPEG-2 creation, then authoring with Adobe Encore CS6.

I've heard good things about the Tsunami MPEG Encoder (TMPGEnc) but have not tried it - http://www.tmpgenc.net/en/index.html

Thanks

Jeff

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]