FORUMS: list search recent posts

why is toast and iDVD reducing the quality of my short when there's plenty of room on the disc ?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Cornell
why is toast and iDVD reducing the quality of my short when there's plenty of room on the disc ?
on Jun 14, 2011 at 5:01:15 pm

Can anybody tell me why the burning software such as iDVD, Toast 10..etc is not using the ENTIRE space available when burning a SD DVD ?

There's plenty of room on the disc so why is Toast and or iDVD ruining the quality of my clip and not utilizing the entire 4.7GB of available space?

I made 3 files in iDVD ...

Best performance 284.3MB
High quality 284.1MB
Pro quality 292.5MB

My 2.5 minute clip prior to dragging into iDVD is 322.6MB. Why on earth is iDVD reducing the quality ? There's plenty of room on the disc ? 4.7GB available

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: why is toast and iDVD reducing the quality of my short when there's plenty of room on the disc ?
on Jun 15, 2011 at 1:58:46 am

Not how it works. DVD's MPEG-2 video codec has a maximum bitrate to be playable and once that rate is maxed it can't be any higher. For a 2.5 minute video that file size sounds about right. Also iDVD and Toast are not high end tools and offer little quality control. If you want that you need DVD Studio Pro.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

Steve Cornell
Re: why is toast and iDVD reducing the quality of my short when there's plenty of room on the disc ?
on Jun 15, 2011 at 2:58:21 pm

With DVDSP, can I push the bitrate higher ? I haven't found any tutorials on this.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jun 16, 2011 at 3:06:43 am

Nope but you'll get more efficient encoding at maximum bitrates= higher visual quality. DVDs at 4.2 GB are designed to hold about 90 minutes at maximum quality. So any less amount of footage cannot by definition be any higher quality- the bitrate is maxed and it is what it is.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

Steve Cornell
on Jun 16, 2011 at 1:50:42 pm

Noah,
I understand what you're saying. How about dual layer for a 2.5 minute clip? Will that allow me a higher bit rate or is that just for more content?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jun 18, 2011 at 4:50:05 am

Think of it this way- the diameter of the pipe is fixed, so it does not really matter how long it is- there's only so much water it will carry at a time.

Noah

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]