FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD subtitles into scenarist

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Allen
DVD subtitles into scenarist
on Jun 4, 2011 at 8:20:23 pm

Hi All,
Looking into getting a film authored and am piecing together the best workflow in terms of making subtitles. Basically, I want to send the film media to the authoring company, and then send a time-coded subtitle file which can then be imported directly into the authoring program without too much trouble. My plan was to use a neat piece of freeware called Subtitle Edit which allows you to export your subtitles in a variety of formats, depending on the destination DVD authoring software. All well and good. Or so I thought...

I contacted a DVD authoring company who use scenarist for authoring. I said I would send through a timecoded subtitle file, but they said they would have to convert each one to a tiff graphic file before being used in the program - with a cost associated with this extra process. I was really suprised to hear this - it just didn't sound right to me. When I've done tests with DVDit (or AVID DVD a it's now called) the program just pulls in the information from the subtitle file and then you decide the format of the subtitles from there. There's no need to convert the subtitles to graphics first.

Can anyone shed any light on this, or the 'normal' workflow in terms of supplying subtitles to an authoring company?

Thanks,
Paul

Avid Media Composer. PC with Intel DP35DP s775 iP35 ATX motherboard. Core 2 Extreme CPU QX6800 2.93GHz (4 CPUSs). 2030MB RAM. 256MB Nvidia Quadro/FX1500 PCIe

Return to posts index

Rob Neidig
Re: DVD subtitles into scenarist
on Jun 5, 2011 at 2:46:16 am

PauL,

I haven't used Scenarist now in A VERY LONG time, so hopefully someone with current experience will chime in. But if I recall correctly, Scenarist will accept either a subtitle file formatted to use a series of TIF files, OR you can have just a normal subtitle file. The one that plays back TIF files allows you to customize your subtitles with fancy fonts and even graphics. The "normal" one just uses the basic subtitle font. Those types of subtitle files can actually be created in a regular text editor, then saved out with the right file extension. Wish I had more specific info for you, but you can probably Google your way to a little more info on the subject. The bottom line, though, is that you DON'T HAVE TO use the TIF file format.

Have fun!

Rob

Rob Neidig
R&R Media Productions
Eugene, Oregon

Return to posts index

Paul Allen
on Jun 5, 2011 at 8:53:54 am

Thanks Rob, that's very helpful. There's a surprising lack of info out there about subtitling and the process involved - I'm really having to piece it together. That's good news about using normal subtitle files - that's exactly the route I was planning to take, saving a basic txt file with an extension that Scenarist recognises and then playing around with them once they're in the program. Any other advice from Scenarist users much appreciated...

Thanks,
Paul

Avid Media Composer. PC with Intel DP35DP s775 iP35 ATX motherboard. Core 2 Extreme CPU QX6800 2.93GHz (4 CPUSs). 2030MB RAM. 256MB Nvidia Quadro/FX1500 PCIe

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Jun 5, 2011 at 9:34:16 am

DVD's contain 4 colored bitmaps for subtitles.
It does not matter if they are generated inside or outside the authoring package, and it should not matter to you.

Creating the TIFFS is a very fast process. If they charge you for that, they better not charge too much.
There are several packages that can do this, one being my Subbits, the other Spherico's TitleExchange with a PSD script.

But normally the most effort goes into creating the content.
And you have taken care of that. (although not the best way imho, but if it's just a few titles, well, why not.)

For cost: the most imporant thing is the figure right down on the quote.
IF you like that, don't think about it.
If you don't, why not hire a smaller company that uses DVD SP?
(And with current internet speeds, they can be anywhere around the globe)
I'm more than willing to give you a quote...

Bouke

http://www.videotoolshed.com/
smart tools for video pros

Return to posts index

Paul Allen
on Jun 5, 2011 at 11:10:39 am

Thanks Bouke. You say the workflow I described is not the best way to do it in your opinion - I wondered what workflow you would normally go with for subtitling? Would you do it all from within the authoring program?
Thanks,
Paul

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Jun 5, 2011 at 1:07:10 pm

Paul,
What i ment, i would not use Subtitle edit, and if you're not very good with language and know the rules of subtitling, i would outsource it alltogether.

Like any other craft, it looks easier than it is.
And only after that comes the technical part...

Bouke

http://www.videotoolshed.com/
smart tools for video pros

Return to posts index

Paul Allen
on Jun 5, 2011 at 2:32:00 pm

Ok, I understand what you're saying Bouke. Yes, it's a very good point - too many times have I embarked on things only to realise that there's a reason there are professionals who do it for a living! We're just up against it in terms of money on the project - it's an independent feature - so always look to do things ourselves where possible. Thanks for your help,
Paul

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Jun 6, 2011 at 4:37:39 am

You should have outsourced the subtitling and done the authoring in house :)

Like bouke said, Subtitling is its own thing so there's not a whole lot advice other than it takes time to get right....

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]