FORUMS: list search recent posts

Potential Deinterlacing / Field Dominance Issue - Not Sure

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Resnick
Potential Deinterlacing / Field Dominance Issue - Not Sure
on May 16, 2011 at 11:24:04 am

I've done some searching around this forum but haven't found an exact solution to my exact specific problem. It seems that there might be some issue with deinterlacing or field dominance but I'm really not sure. Hoping to get some help!

I just burned my first Blu-Ray disc for my first HD client project. It's at 1440 x 1080, 29.97fps. All video was shot on a Sony HVR-Z1U and then edited together with a bunch of still images (of varying resolution) in Final Cut Pro. I then exported the final assemble with Compressor, made my mpeg-2, and authored in Premiere Pro (no transcoding done in Premiere).

I popped the disc into my brand new Sony BDP-S570 player and connected via HDMI to a TV. The video looks beautiful and everything works perfectly except that on some of my still images, the video is flickering like crazy. It even flickers when the video is paused. I attempted to take a photo of this using my iPhone, but when viewed on the iPhone camera there is no flickering.

I then tried a RCA video output from the player to the TV and instead of flickering I just get static horizontal lines on the problem images. I was able to photograph what that looks like and you can see it here: http://www.davidresnick.me/files/horizontallines.jpg

Since the video was all shot at 1080i 29.97, I did not deinterlace at any point (at least not knowingly). I don't know why some still images are having this problem but not others. The problem usually occurs during pan/zoom/dissolve, but it does not happen on all pan/zoom/dissolves.

I came across one post that suggested that it's possible for an image to have a non-conforming number of lines or something to that effect. I don't know if I am guilty of this since I didn't understand the explanation. I also saw posts that referenced deinterlacing during compression, or field dominance issues, but my project doesn't seem to have any of those (FCP sequence settings are at "Upper" and Compressor setting at "Top first" shouldn't yield any problems).

Since I did identify the horizontal lines, it would seem though, that my problem is related to one of these areas. I would greatly appreciate any assistance with this. I can post any other application settings if that will help.

Thanks very much,
David

Return to posts index

David Resnick
Re: Potential Deinterlacing / Field Dominance Issue - Not Sure
on May 16, 2011 at 7:57:44 pm

I don't see an option to delete this point, so, please disregard it. After some hours of troubleshooting I discovered a solution.

Thanks,
David

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]