FORUMS: list search recent posts

Blu Ray Burner in a Mac Pro Doesn't Play Nice

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
alec gitelman
Blu Ray Burner in a Mac Pro Doesn't Play Nice
on May 6, 2011 at 4:23:35 pm

This is more on the technical side than the authoring side.

Pioneer Blu-Ray Burner (BDR-205) installed internally in a Mac Pro, via a SATA connection to the motherboard.

Works perfectly fine, except that if it is not used for a little while it disappears. Like the drive is not there. Restart computer - works great again, keeps working, I can burn disks all day. Sits idle - have to restart.

I wouldn't even mind it so much, but today it wend idle while Adobe Encore was building project.

Does anyone have an idea?
Thanks!

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Blu Ray Burner in a Mac Pro Doesn't Play Nice
on May 6, 2011 at 5:37:08 pm

That's a manufacturer q. As you know BR-Disc support on Apple is very minimal.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Canon 7D.

Return to posts index

Larry Applegate
on May 7, 2011 at 4:21:53 pm

The hardware support for Blu-ray burners in Max OS has been completely functional and stable for over three years now, since Leopard. It is the authoring software that is lacking.

I have an external BDR-203 (the predecessor of the BDR-205) installed in a 3-interface external enclosure, including eSata connected to to my Mac Pro via the OWC backplane adapter to the motherboard. I just fired it up and it works fine with the Apple Finder and our BluStreak burning software using the eSata connection. It also works fine with Firewire and USB.

Software that uses disc burning on the Mac must take exclusive access to the drive in order to operate it. (It is the same on WIndows). If one app has access, no other app can see it. If Encore were to lose track of what it was doing, what you see might be the result.

I can't speak to Encore burning, since we don't use it because we must decide the disc directory layout for layer break and seamless playback purposes. But as an example, when we take control of the burner, any mounted disc disappears from the Finder, and when we exit our program, the disc is automatically re-mounted.

If you like you can download our free burner software here:

http://blustreak.dvdafteredit.com/blustreak-burner

Regards,

Larry Applegate
http://blustreak.dvdafteredit.com/

Return to posts index

alec gitelman
on May 7, 2011 at 11:31:46 pm

Hi Larry,

Thx for your answer but I'm afraid it doesn't quite answer my question. My Blu-Ray recorder disappears as a piece of hardware after a while. For example, I could be burning data disks all day long (I actually do that sometimes, making media backups, and since I use LTH type media it takes a while) using Toast. However once I stop doing that after a little while the system does not see the burner - I can't open or close it, forget burning disks.

I suspect it has something to do with the IDE to SATA power converter but I'm not technical enough to know or understand why/why not.

Considering how much trouble it was to make it internal and now to run it like that, I should've spent extra $100 for an external enclosure.

Return to posts index

Greg Barringer
on Jun 29, 2011 at 12:20:01 am

Here's the answer:

System Preferences > Energy Saver > Uncheck "Put hard disk to sleep when possible" and set Computer Sleep to Never.

It will always be available, I have the same burner in a Mac Pro.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]