FORUMS: list search recent posts

Pixelated Graphics

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Olsen
Pixelated Graphics
on Mar 28, 2011 at 4:47:15 pm

I have a client that needs to mass produce a training video... I shot the whole thing in HD and am trying to make a SD DVD for cost purposes, the video looks fine but the graphics they used in it (all set at 300 DPI) look pixelated on the DVD.

I went back and looked at my original file and the graphics look great. So somewhere in the process of converting the project into DVD form I am losing quality.

Any ideas.

I am using standard setups in Toast 10 Titanium and DVD Studio Pro, both have failed to get me crisp graphic images... but both look great video wise.

Thanks.

Chris

Return to posts index

Kylee Peña
Re: Pixelated Graphics
on Mar 28, 2011 at 7:21:14 pm

What was your editing codec? Also, what was your workflow to go from FCP to DVDSP or Toast?

By the way, video graphics are supposed to be 72dpi. I'm not sure if too many dpi can cause this issue.

Return to posts index

Chris Olsen
on Mar 28, 2011 at 7:27:35 pm

I use XDCAM 1080 and exported it from FCP that way. I dragged and dropped the files in from there...

Return to posts index

Bill Stephan
on Mar 28, 2011 at 8:37:34 pm

What did you use to encode the video & audio, and what settings did you use in the encoder? Or are you letting Toast or DVDSP handle the encoding, which almost guarantees a mediocre result.

Another possibility might be that you would get a cleaner looking result if you downconverted the program content first and then added the graphics in standard def. Most broadcast programs are done using this workflow, as graphics usually don't downconvert well.

Bill Stephan
Senior Editor/DVD Author
USA Studios
New York City

Return to posts index

Michael Pfost
on Mar 30, 2011 at 2:13:12 am

I would avoid using FCP to resize your video. Use Compressor and turn on "Frame Controls" so that you can play around with the settings. I've also had excellent results using After Effects to resize.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]