FORUMS: list search recent posts

Encoding DVD in real time from DigitalBeta

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Siu Kei Ip
Encoding DVD in real time from DigitalBeta
on Mar 28, 2011 at 2:45:38 pm

Hi, I would like to build up a PC for encoding DVD from DigitalBetacam (NTSC/PAL). I want the quality like to be most retailed DVD. However, I am short of budget, so, which capture card should I choose?

Return to posts index

Bill Stephan
Re: Encoding DVD in real time from DigitalBeta
on Mar 30, 2011 at 5:02:31 am

See if you can find someone selling a used Zapex encoder board. Be aware that the company went out of business years ago, so you want at least the board and the software. Better would be a working PC with the board already set-up.

Bill Stephan
Senior Editor/DVD Author
USA Studios
New York City

Return to posts index

Siu Kei Ip
on Mar 30, 2011 at 2:19:35 pm

Thx for reply!
However, are there any capture cards that have DVD encoding function??
Like Black Magic, Canopus?

Return to posts index

Bill Stephan
on Mar 30, 2011 at 4:53:14 pm

Canopus might have an encoder board similar to Zapex. There is also the Sonic Solutions encoders. Using a Black Magic or Aja capture card requires software encoding after capture.

Bill Stephan
Senior Editor/DVD Author
USA Studios
New York City

Return to posts index

Siu Kei Ip
on Mar 31, 2011 at 2:25:17 pm

Thx!
I've checked Canopus, and find out FIRECODER Blu. IS the quality Okay for retailed DVD?
And what is the minimum requirement of the PC for DVD encoding?

Return to posts index

Bill Stephan
on Mar 31, 2011 at 4:38:40 pm

[Siu Kei Ip] "And what is the minimum requirement of the PC for DVD encoding?"

The manufacturer of the encoder board will have specific requirements for the PC for its products. In general, you want a workstation PC (not an "office" PC) for its segmented PCI bus. You need a faster (and big) second hard drive to store the media. DVD encoding does not require a RAID.

[Siu Kei Ip] "IS the quality Okay for retailed DVD?"

You should demo the encoder you are considering using familiar footage to see whether you like the results.

Bill Stephan
Senior Editor/DVD Author
USA Studios
New York City

Return to posts index

Siu Kei Ip
on Apr 1, 2011 at 2:38:43 pm

Actually, if I decide to buy a capture card and use software encoder for DVD/Blu-ray production, will I get worse quality than hardware realtime encoding?

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Apr 4, 2011 at 10:26:46 pm

Most encoders are software based these days. Cinemcraft SP is about the finest encoder around unless youre prepared to hand over thousands of dollars

Return to posts index

Siu Kei Ip
on Apr 5, 2011 at 4:38:46 am

How about capture card??
Which one can be used to capture footage from Digibeta/HD??

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Apr 5, 2011 at 7:22:20 am

Slu,

I have an old Sonic Solution SD2000 card and a computer that can run it. My version for a Mac and it only runs on OS9. I can sell a turnkey system so it really doesn't matter what system is it. This card has reverse telecine and segment based recoding.

The only advantage of any hardware encoder card is if you are coming from a tape (which is what you said you where doing) You don't capture and then encode it all happens in one step. But the card is only for encoding for DVD authoring.

If you are interested contact me at onthecow (at) michaelangelodv (dot) com.

Once again Hardware encoder does not give you better than software but it gives you professional quality at real time from tape masters. I will let this go cheap, I just need to replace the computer with any intel mac, a used iMac intel would be fine.

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Apr 7, 2011 at 2:30:27 pm

The Matrox MXO2 Mini offers realtime MPEG-2 capture straight to .m2v and .wav from Composite, S-video and Component sources, with RCA stereo audio input.

I haven't messed with this new feature enough to comment on how good the quality is using the realtime capture to MPEG-2 though. Probably not on par with a high-end specialty encoder

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Apr 7, 2011 at 11:19:02 pm

@ Jeff, at you sure that is a DVD compliant stream. Nothing on their website mentions the ability to go to a DVD stream. There are a lot of variations of mpeg2 but only a specific one can be used with DVDs.

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Apr 8, 2011 at 2:12:48 pm

Hi Michael,

Matrox MXO2 Mini absolutely supports direct capture to "MPEG-2 for DVD", saving directly to .m2v and .wav files compatible with Adobe Encore.

I checked the website and you're right, they don't seem to be advertising it, but the feature is most definitely in the software, and in the manual. Older Matrox hardware also had the capture to MPEG-2 for DVD option as well.

But again, I haven't done any thorough testing of the quality of the realtime MPEG-2 compression compared to doing it through Adobe Media Encoder for instance

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Siu Kei Ip
on Apr 10, 2011 at 1:57:17 pm

Is that capture card only compatible with Adobe Encore??

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]