FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD STUDIO PRO Creating Rollover Buttons

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nicholas Heathcote
DVD STUDIO PRO Creating Rollover Buttons
on Mar 25, 2011 at 6:01:17 pm

Hi,

I was wondering whether anyone might be able to help me on a stumbling block. Am currently working on a project for my work placement. I have got to the point of creating the DVD itself.

I have an animated intro to the menu page which then loops. TVs are playing static in the background of the menu. What I am trying to do is create rollover buttons for the TVs by having a jpeg image come up on the screens which is the same size and shape and covers the static on each screen as you roll over them with the mouse (illusion of changing to a different channel rather than putting in a movie). Do you know of any good tutorials, sites etc that might be able to help me, or whether you know of any way i can knock this prob on the head. Am afraid am not hugely experienced with studio pro.

Many thanks,

Nick

Return to posts index

Kylee Peña
Re: DVD STUDIO PRO Creating Rollover Buttons
on Mar 25, 2011 at 6:34:14 pm

DVD menus are very simple and limiting unfortunately. I'm not sure how well you'll be able to achieve this the way you're thinking. Look up button overlays, there's tons of stuff about it. The best would be to get the Apple Pro Training Series DVDSP book.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Mar 27, 2011 at 6:20:23 am

Yeah too much for DVDs. DVDs are not Flash by a long shot. Stick to simple single layer highlights as described in your manual. And look at most Hollywood DVDs you'll see they do the same...

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Canon 5D Mark II and 7D.

Return to posts index

Nicholas Heathcote
on Mar 29, 2011 at 10:03:06 am

Cheers Noah,

Is there no way it can just be a jpeg instead of a highlight or would that just look a bit rubbish?

Nick

Return to posts index

Kylee Peña
on Mar 29, 2011 at 2:22:33 pm

Button overlays and highlights are done either with black and white or grayscale, and they can be four colors only.

Manual: http://documentation.apple.com/en/dvdstudiopro/usermanual/index.html#chapte...

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Mar 29, 2011 at 3:28:14 pm

Yeah seriously- look at some 'professional hollywood' DVDs and you'll realize the single highlight layer/grayscale method is used 99% of the time. DVD menus are fun but they have very little creative options if you're used to the Flash/HTML 5 enhanced menus you can make for the web. Best place to do cool stuff is in the background video itself. But again I find the overall interactive options incredibly limited.

Remember the DVD spec itself was derived in the early '90s. Think about what the web looked like then and you'll realize the limitations you're up against.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Canon 5D Mark II and 7D.

Return to posts index

Nicholas Heathcote
on Mar 29, 2011 at 3:58:34 pm

Cheers for that guys, big help, saves me banging my head against the wall/mac. If I was to use the highlight is it possible to feather the edges or would it have to be a solid colour?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Mar 30, 2011 at 3:09:49 am

Nope 4 shades is all you get. So keep edges sharp, no feathers. They will be jaggy blocks.

Noah

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]