FORUMS: list search recent posts

Authoring dvd for full screen 16:9 viewing on 42" flatscreen

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charles Leisenring
Authoring dvd for full screen 16:9 viewing on 42" flatscreen
on Mar 16, 2011 at 6:21:35 pm

I need some help working out a technical problem:

I am shooting on the Canon XHA1s, capturing 1440x1080i footage onto an SD MiniDV cassette.

I import into FCP and create a sequence with the same parameters.

I have exported this sequence to DSP using Compressor settings for 90 Min Best Quality SD.

In DSP I have set up my project to be SD 16:9.

The DVD burns and plays fine, however there are letterbox bars.

What I am wondering is whether or not my workflow needs to be modified or my expectation.

All I want to do is to have this footage play full-size on a 42" flatscreen. As of now, it is letterboxed.

Can anyone help me to identify a simple, standard workflow for creating a DVD that will play full screen on a flatscreen HD tv? And if so, how will this same video work for a standard 4:3 tv?

Unfortunately, Blu-Ray is not an option, but I want to work all of this out as best I can before taking on client contracts.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Authoring dvd for full screen 16:9 viewing on 42" flatscreen
on Mar 17, 2011 at 4:43:45 am

Are you sure the DVD player is set to output anamorphic footage? And that your DVD assets are 16:9 anamorphic, DVDSP tracks set to "16:9/letterbox"

-Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Canon 5D Mark II and 7D.

Return to posts index

Charles Leisenring
on Mar 17, 2011 at 2:05:17 pm

Hi Noah, Thanks for taking the time to reply.

On my first burn I did set up DSP for 16:9 BEFORE beginning my project or importing ANY assets. I did a test run with one of my sequences after doing a little studying and made sure it was anamorphic before I sent it to compressor. It yielded the same results, so I will see what I can to trouble shoot the play settings of the DVD players available.

While I have you here, was wondering if you might be able to help me with one more thing- When I build/burn and create the TS files, is there any way to re-use these in DSP for multiple discs at a time, or will I need to purchase a program such as Toast?

Thanks again for your time and guidance! As much work and time as it takes, I truly do love sussing out all of the technical aspects required to create a smooth workflow that will produce consistently great results!!!

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Mar 17, 2011 at 6:53:14 pm

charles,
you can create a disc-image using DVDSP and burn it using apple disk utility, so you donĀ“t need to get toast.

the disadvantage is, you can only burn 1 disk each time. if you would like to burn multiple DVDs at the same time, you need to install 2 instances (copys) of toast on your computer, so each of them could be started and burn a disk to individual burners.

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]