FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD Studio Pro subtitle language not included

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shayne Schroader
DVD Studio Pro subtitle language not included
on Mar 15, 2011 at 3:34:06 pm

Hello,

I'm working on a DVD project that includes 5 subtitle tracks. All tracks are added and working fine except for Chinese. I have a Traditional Chinese and Simplified Chinese .stl file, but DVD Studio Pro has only 1 option for Chinese. Is there a way to add a language that is not included or am I missing something?

If if helps, I'm using DVD Studio Pro 4.2.2

Return to posts index

Bill Stephan
Re: DVD Studio Pro subtitle language not included
on Mar 15, 2011 at 8:35:28 pm

Languages are defined by the DVD Spec. You will find that there are far more languages spoken on this planet than exist in the DVD Spec. I'm unsure whether DVDSP makes all of the languages in the spec available to you. If you need a language that DVDSP does not have but exists in the spec, then you should be able to use DVD After Edit to fix the problem. If you need languages not in the Spec, all you can do is pick another. I once authored a series of DVDs with TV soap operas in the Urdu language, and Urdu is not one of the available language choices.

Languages in DVD work mostly for "under the hood" programming, so you can make a menu where the user can choose Simple or Traditional Chinese buttons, but you can tag them as French and Italian, for example. The experience to the viewer depends how you expose the language choices in the DVD to the viewer.

Others who have more experience with multi-language DVDs might have some elegant solutions for you.

Bill Stephan
Senior Editor/DVD Author
USA Studios
New York City

Return to posts index

Shayne Schroader
Re: DVD Studio Pro subtitle language not included
on Mar 16, 2011 at 7:37:38 pm

Thanks for the response. The DVD is set to play in all regions. I was afraid the language selection in the subtitle stream would cause an issue if the language was not available, but I guess not. I'm using Ken Stones tutorial on forcing the stream (http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/dvd_sp2_subtitles.html) and with it forced like that I can see that I'm pointing to the stream number and not the language name. Hope all that made sense. If not then simply thanks and it appears that this will work after all.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]