FORUMS: list search recent posts

trouble Installing the LG Blu-Ray Rewriter for Power Mac

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joshua MacFall
trouble Installing the LG Blu-Ray Rewriter for Power Mac
on Mar 14, 2011 at 8:32:06 pm

I've just installed the LG Blu-ray disc Rewriter (WH10L30) and my Power Mac won't recognize that it's in there at all. My computer specs are at the bottom and LG said to contact Apple. I don't have Apple Care anymore and I didn't see a place on the apple website that seemed like the right department to call without apple care.

So I've got a burner installed that doesn't show up in the Disc Utilities folder. Thoughts? Is there a department within apple that I could call and ask questions? Any direction would be helpful, thanks!

Josh
------------------------

Processor: 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon

Memory: 6 GB 1066 MHz DDR3

-----------------------------------------------
Detailed overview:

Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro4,1
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 2.26 GHz
Number Of Processors: 2
Total Number Of Cores: 8
L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB
L3 Cache (per processor): 8 MB
Memory: 6 GB
Processor Interconnect Speed: 5.86 GT/s
Boot ROM Version: MP41.0081.B07
SMC Version (system): 1.39f5
SMC Version (processor tray): 1.39f5

God Bless,

Joshua MacFall

Return to posts index

Larry Applegate
Re: trouble Installing the LG Blu-Ray Rewriter for Power Mac
on Mar 15, 2011 at 4:59:04 am

You have left out the most important information. How did you install it in your Mac Pro?

The early Mac Pro models have IDE slots, if I read your model correctly, and the current Blu-ray burners are all SATA. So it isn't connected to the computer unless you used an external enclosure or use one of the extra Sata connectors on the mother board.

It's not an Apple and probably not an LG problem.

You can find all of this information on the Other World Computing web site, or call them.

Regards,

Larry Applegate
http://blustreak.dvdafteredit.com/

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Mar 15, 2011 at 11:53:28 am

I have the Lacie BD burner (freestanding) and all I did was connect it to my MacPro via USB 2 and away I went. No install at all. I encode and burn BD's in Toast 10 and I do have to nominate, within Toast, which burner to use as both show up, the SD burner in the Mac and the BD Lacie.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Joshua MacFall
on Mar 15, 2011 at 8:59:45 pm

Hi Larry,

I don't doubt it's a problem on my end. :) From another forum I posted on I learned how to check the System Profiler to verify that my Mac is in fact recognizing the drive (doh! my bad). I'm not much of a hardware person so some of this is new to me.

The other forum suggested that I may need Toast, or a similar program, to operate the drive. Would you concur with that? Maybe you can help point me in the right direction. I have DVD Studio Pro 4.2.2 and didn't think I would need anything else. Is that wrong?

Thanks again for your help.

Josh

God Bless,

Joshua MacFall

Return to posts index

Larry Applegate
on Mar 15, 2011 at 9:34:23 pm

That's very odd that System Profiler sees it but DVD Studio Pro and the Disk Utility program do not. I just tried DVDSP on my Mac Pro and it sees my internal BD burner. And I have an external burner that I've used on several computers, sometimes with the USB connection. (It also has Firewire and eSata). And I've seen no difference in that regard between DVDSP, Toast, Encore, and our own burning software.

One thing that threw me off on your original post is that I assumed you were trying to burn a Blu-ray disc, otherwise why did you buy a Blu-ray burner?

Anyway if you don't have Toast and want to try other software, you can download our free burner here:

http://blustreak.dvdafteredit.com/blustreak-burner

But it only burns Blu=ray folders, not DVD. However you will find out if it sees your burner if you try the Erase function.

Regards,

Larry Applegate
http://blustreak.dvdafteredit.com/

Return to posts index

Joshua MacFall
on Mar 15, 2011 at 9:51:29 pm

Thanks again!

For whatever reason the burner is now showing up. It's the strangest thing!

You were right about me wanting to burn blu-ray and not DVD. My reply was misleading rather than my initial post. Sorry.

Anyway, thank you so much for participating in these forums! They are really helpful.

Josh

God Bless,

Joshua MacFall

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]