FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressor (burning HD footage for SD DVD)

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Laura Weinstein
Compressor (burning HD footage for SD DVD)
on Mar 3, 2011 at 1:21:41 am

Hi, I was wondering I have a project in FCP. The footage is pro res 422 and the cameras are 5D and Sony Ex-1. I need to burn it at best quality to an SD DVD.

I have sent the project to Compressor and chosen "QuickTime H.264" is this okay? Or should I have chosen something else like Mpeg2. From experience I thought H264 would be best. am I wrong? or is it okay. I will probably create the DVD in adobe encore. The project is 45 minutes.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: Compressor (burning HD footage for SD DVD)
on Mar 3, 2011 at 7:46:19 pm

You are wrong and this has been posted about hundreds of times. H264 should NEVER be used in the SD DVD workflow. DVDs are always m2v video, using H264 just adds a bunch of time and greatly reduces final quality.

Since there are already too many HD to SD DVD workflow post I just ask you to search the forum.

Return to posts index

Laura Weinstein
on Mar 3, 2011 at 7:49:15 pm

ok, sorry! I did read up on the forums but still was confused so I posted the question...

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Mar 3, 2011 at 7:54:20 pm

There should be no confusion about H264, you NEVER use it for a DVD project.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Mar 4, 2011 at 12:44:37 pm

Laura, when you read the posts do pay attention to any mention of BitVice. This, in my opinion and experience, is one of the best encoding software available. It does an awesome downscale whilst encoding VBR double pass a QT .mov (HD) into M2V (SD) file.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Laura Weinstein
on Mar 4, 2011 at 8:56:07 pm

ok thanks!

Return to posts index

Michael Pfost
on Mar 23, 2011 at 3:48:37 pm

I've had excellent results down-converting HD material to SD using After Effects. I then take the resulting ProRes file and create my MPEG-2 files for the DVD (using Compressor).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]