FORUMS: list search recent posts

odd size quicktime file for dvd authoring

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Wendy Roderweiss
odd size quicktime file for dvd authoring
on Feb 26, 2011 at 8:17:42 pm

I am trying to burn a 1280x480 quicktime file so it will play without being squished on both a 16x9 and 4x3 television. I realize that is not either of those aspect ratios, but I was hoping to force a letterbox and then scale up or down in widescreen or full screen.

I have tried encoding in compressor as a 16x9 file with a letter box matte, a 4x3 with a letterbox matte, a 16x9 and 4x3 without a matte, as well as just exporting as mpeg2 and changing the settings in DVDSP.

How do i get compressor to force a letterbox so the aspect ratio doesn't squish? Any help would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
Re: odd size quicktime file for dvd authoring
on Feb 27, 2011 at 4:07:25 pm

wendy,
this is a totally uncommon pixel-aspec, so you need to set to a common pixel-aspec, but another point is you havenĀ“t told us, what you really want to do with your file.

should it go on BD or should it go on DVD?

if it should go BD you need to create 720p50 or 720p60, if you will go DVD you need to create 720x480 or 720x576, depending on your chosen TV-standart.

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

Wendy Roderweiss
on Feb 28, 2011 at 3:10:16 am

HI Dan,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I realize this is odd. I am doing a side by side, video and slide presentation so I am looking at a MUCH wider image than it is tall. What I would like to do is make a 16x9 SD DVD (with letterboxing of course, but also have a much smaller 4:3 image with letterboxing.

What would be the best thing to do? Basically I am looking for a way to encode it with the letterbox matte both for 16x9 and 4x3.

Return to posts index

Bill Stephan
on Feb 28, 2011 at 7:20:35 pm

I would create an 864x480 square pixel QT file in a resolution independent app such as After Effects. Place & resize your image file to suit. Then you can make a 16:9 encode from the new file that will appear on the DVD as you had it in AE. (This assumes you are making an NTSC DVD. You can do the same for Blu-ray, which is easier because all HD formats are square pixels.)

Bill Stephan
Senior Editor/DVD Author
USA Studios
New York City

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Mar 1, 2011 at 1:15:47 am

It makes no sense to work with a video resolution like that. SD DVD is 720x480 WS period. You work with that resolution but that is what is going to be on the disc. If you create your video and graphics to be 4:3 safe, you chose 16:9 Pan and Scan and the DVD will play the video full screen on a 4:3 screen, but you lose the left and right of the image. If it is not produced 4:3 you have to live with letterboxing.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]