FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need to create an NTSC DVD from PAL movs. How?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kelsi-Dean Buck
Need to create an NTSC DVD from PAL movs. How?
on Feb 16, 2011 at 3:59:12 pm

Hi all.

My company needs to burn some showreel disc to send to the states, but as we're in the UK we work in PAL.

We have the uncompressed PAL quick-times, but I just needed some advice on where to go from here. Convert the movs (if so, using what and what settings? we work from premier and final cut)? Build the DVD with NTSC settings?

Would like to get the DVD to play good with no/minimal quality loss! Can't be dealing with juddery video.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
Re: Need to create an NTSC DVD from PAL movs. How?
on Feb 16, 2011 at 7:11:08 pm

hi kelsi,
you need to do a format-conversion. if you have FCP youvcan do it with compressor, therefor you could try to use one of apples templates for format-conversion, or you can create your own setting.

but be awared: it´ll take some/a lot time, depending on your frame-control-settings.

if you are not working with FCP you need to take after effects and do the retiming with it.

there is also another workflow if it would be OK, if your video might run 4% slower with 24p (or 29.98NDF).

therefor you need to conform your 25i to 24p, after you have deinterlaced it.

it doesn´t matter which way you´ll go on computer, it´ll take some time.

other option: do a hardware-conversion from PAL to NTSC, but that could only be done with a service-provider.

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

Kelsi-Dean Buck
on Feb 18, 2011 at 11:11:04 am

what settings template would you recommend with losing as little quality as possible?

We can use FCP, Premiere, After Effects, anything really. We've got all the programs. The current movs are uncompressed PALs.

Then when it comes to building the DVD, anything I should know for that stage? (we'll probably use Encore).

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Feb 18, 2011 at 3:17:45 pm

hi kelsi,
I the easy way is to use compressor and do a format-conversion with it. therefor you might look at it´s templates - you´ll find PAL>NTSC-frame-rate conversion in it.

if you have PAL uncompressed, you might go to 29.98 non dropped frames - I got the best results with it.

you need to have a look at apple>other workflows>advanced format conversion> standart definition>SD-8boit uncompressed NTSC

take it and create your own preset out of it. change codec to PRO RES HQ and turn on the frame-control (3rd tab).

use:

rezise filter: better
output fields: progressive
deinterlacer: best

under retime-control choose:

rate conversion: better or best

be awared: it´ll take approx 8-11h for a 1-1.5h film to convert! start with a small file as test first.

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

Matt Stoddart
on Feb 16, 2011 at 10:32:52 pm

If you go the hardware route, you will have to lay the PAL sequences off to tape, either HDV or DVCAM, and have it standards convertered to NTSC.
If your original sequence is in HD then rent a Sony HVR-M15AE recorder, you can lay the sequence off to tape via firewire, if your sequence is SD then rent a Sony DSR-11 recorder.
When you ask a post house to standands convert your tape ask for a Snell & Wilcox Alchemist Ph.C standards convertor, it is the daddy of all convertors.
Where abouts are you based in the UK, I was in Post Production in London's Soho for @ 20 years so if you go the hardware route I could suggest the facilities houses I trust.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]