FORUMS: list search recent posts

"Universal" duplicator

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ignatius Gorin
"Universal" duplicator
on Feb 9, 2011 at 10:28:59 am

Hi --

(I checked various threads here and elsewhere before posting, but most date back from two years or so ago, si I thought I'd repost; sorry if I missed something.)

I need to buy a DVD duplicator to send DVD's to festivals around the World, as screeners.

My sources are mostly (factory) DVD screeners and DVD's made by labs I'm working with, out of Beta Num tapes.

Here is my main questions :

What are the main parameters that make a burned DVD readable on the widest range of home DVD player, and how are these factored and ranked (except DVD the DVD player itself, which I can't control obviously)? Media? Write speed? Burner technology?

IOW, as to buying a duplicator, do some output more compatible DVD's than others?

Many TIA's.

— Ig.

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
Re: "Universal" duplicator
on Feb 9, 2011 at 2:42:35 pm

Hi Ig,

I've been mass-producing DVDs for many years, and in the beginning had some compatibility issues, due mostly to the players. The last few years, zero issues. Apparently all the old players with the compatibility issues have worn out and been tossed.

As long as the original DVD is authored correctly to DVD specs, and you use a good quality DVD-R media, there should be no worries. Don't use paper labels, as these can throw the disc out of balance, use an ink jet or thermal print solution.

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor

Return to posts index

Ignatius Gorin
on Feb 9, 2011 at 6:49:06 pm

Many thanks for your input.

Any particular brand/model recommandation for a 3 DVD burner (printing feature a plus, not a must)?

Thanks again.

— AB

Return to posts index

Matt Stoddart
on Feb 11, 2011 at 11:44:06 am

For the DVD duplicator make sure that it has an internal harddrive to which it writes the project to first, stay away from the ones that write straight from DVD master to DVD clones, and write at 8 speed even it you have 16x media.
As for media stay away from the "suprising" cheap disc but on the flip side you don't need the "TAIYO-YUDEN" side of discs for screeners, I've been using Ritek Traxdata x8 discs for years, we burnt @ 3000 a month.
For printers you can't go wrong with the Espon R range (R220, R265,R270) I still use the old R265, but the current model P50 should be fine.

Return to posts index

Ignatius Gorin
on Feb 11, 2011 at 3:14:41 pm

Many thanks for your input on media.

We seem to be settling on a Microboards Copywriter LightScribe 1:5 (just trying to find one that can be shipped in Europe for less than a third of the price itself...) ; any input on the LightScribe technology?

— Ig.

Return to posts index

Matt Stoddart
on Feb 12, 2011 at 3:57:52 pm

Sorry no experiance with Lightscribe technology.

Return to posts index

Ignatius Gorin
on Feb 12, 2011 at 4:08:33 pm

Many thanks anyway.

— Ig.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]