FORUMS: list search recent posts

Insert Audio Watermarks into DVD screening copies

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Antonio grossi
Insert Audio Watermarks into DVD screening copies
on Feb 4, 2011 at 8:30:18 am

Hello!

Finally we completed our feature film so we are due to send some dvd screening copies to press and distributors.
What we wanna do is to put some protections for tracks any possible uploads on internet.

I heard of audio watermarks, do you know what software can do this?

thanks thanks!

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Insert Audio Watermarks into DVD screening copies
on Feb 5, 2011 at 12:55:34 am

You mean like you saying 'copyright 2011' every minute or so? Screeners hate that- really hate any sort of copy protection, unfortunately. Bottom line is forget about fighting piracy- that's impossible. instead aim to sell the movie so much it doesn't matter.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Canon 5D Mark II and 7D.

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Feb 5, 2011 at 10:03:51 am

What Noah said....and no offense but only the studios have issues with piracy. An independent production is not loosing money to pirates.

Return to posts index

Matt Stoddart
on Feb 11, 2011 at 10:50:40 am

The main core of our business is the creation of DVD screeners for Independent Films Distributors to main stream TV programmes, this question comes up constantly, to date there is NO workable copy-code protection for DVD-R (burnt) screeners. I did get presented with one burnt disc that had a "strong" protection on it, but the major problem with that system was it could only be played on a computer, it couldn't be played on your standard DVD player. (it took me 2 hours to crack it, YES I did have permission from Distibution company).
If the Major Distributor (Warners, Disney) couldn't devise a copy protection system for their retail DVD that some 12 year old couldn't crack in a day or two there is no hope for DVD screeners.
With all our screeners we create we put a visible "Property of..." every 10 minutes thoughout the film, anyways if the pirate do upload your programme it means that there is some interest in your film and you should have no problems in finding a distributor.

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Feb 11, 2011 at 5:47:21 pm

Well put Matt! I only wish people would be pirating my productions! Ha!

Return to posts index

Malcolm Matusky
on Mar 9, 2011 at 5:15:02 pm

So what is the answer to piracy? I'm not in a position to have any of my productions posted on "the pirate bay" and distributed for free, free does not cover my production costs.

Visual and audio "watermarks" do not disable piracy, they just show where the material was stolen from. Do any of the pay per view sites have a workable solution to this issue?

It seems from reading many "posts" on the subject that there is no way to keep a file encrypted and watchable at the same time for the consumer. I recently read that less than 0.05% of people pay voluntarily for material they watched on a pirate site, and that may be a generous estimate. There is no business model that can function with a 0.05% revenue structure and 99.05% free viewing.

I am not speaking to Hollywood blockbusters that recoup most of their money over a very short period of time, I am concerned with special interest video that needs years to sell enough copies to justify the production expense. Piracy is a big issue for this type of film, and was in the days of VHS cassettes because that's how my films were put into insolvency by "fans" that just wanted to "share" with their friends; I have not made a special interest film since because the "business" model is always negative with rampant piracy.

Has anyone found a workable solution?

Malcolm
http://www.malcolmproductions.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]