FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD Studio Pro Burned DVD Found Text Cutoff Again

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Doyle
DVD Studio Pro Burned DVD Found Text Cutoff Again
on Jan 25, 2011 at 9:25:02 pm

Hey,
So I've got a dvd menu built in DVD Studio Pro over a jpeg made in photoshop. I have created all text in photoshop which definitely improved the clarity of fonts from those typed into DVD SP, but on an HD large flat screen I've found another problem. The top two or three rows of pixels of the text look to be at a lower opacity than the other pixels of the text. Please see images here

These images were iphone shots of the screen as it's a tv so I couldn't do a screengrab, so please excuse the distortion, but they should show how the START CLASS text is fine but the CHAPTERS EXTRAS and INTERVIEW text all get cut off up top to different degrees. In photoshop

The Jpeg is 720x480 and the pixel aspect ratio is hdv 1080/dvcpro hd720(1.33) which I suspect may be the problem. Looking into this now.
Any help or comments are greatly appreciated. Thanks for any insight into this issue.

-Mike

Mike Doyle
Cinematographer/Photographer
NYC

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: DVD Studio Pro Burned DVD Found Text Cutoff Again
on Jan 25, 2011 at 10:17:59 pm

[Mike Doyle] "he Jpeg is 720x480 and the pixel aspect ratio is hdv 1080/dvcpro hd720(1.33) "
Why would you have a SD resolution and then a HD aspect ration? When you start you need to be in SD 720x480 and then Widescreen (1.2) if you want it to be a 16:9.

Then there is no telling what your TV and DVD setup is or how well it handles the up-conversion to fill the screen.

Return to posts index

Mike Doyle
DVD Menu DVD SP- Button Text Cut-off with upconversion
on Jan 27, 2011 at 6:28:30 pm

The dvd's have played fine on all setups besides a bigscreen hdtv with a standard def dvd player.

TV is a Vizio VX37L HDTV 10A

The DVD player is called: philips dvp642 dvd video player

Looking into changing that pixel aspect ratio, but I hesitate only because this work flow has worked on all other setups, PC laptop, MacBook Pro, Macpro G4 tower. The up-conversion to the HDTV seems to be the only place where the problem exists. Is there anything in dvd sp that might make this disk more up-conversion friendly? Tried the following things

1. Non-square pixels in jpeg menu background through Photoshop CS5
2. Non-square pixels with even font numbers in PTS CS5
3. Non-square pixels with odd font numbers in PTS CS5
4. Non-square pixels with text shifted vertically
5. Single Field option in DVD SP checked off
6. Single Field option in DVD SP checked on
7. Using the software based compression option in dvd studio pro vs. hardware based compression which should have shown some improvement
8. Creating a 5 second loop of the jpeg in Final Cut Pro then compressing that with compressor as a jpeg100, and using that as the background.

None of these tests showed any improvement to that line, only change was in test 4 where the line stayed in the same place and the text moved. Also I was able to recreate the problem on 2 HDTV big screen dvd player combos, so I've ruled out that it's the actual tv.

Posting my research to see if I'm on the right track, and if these tests inspire any suggestions. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Mike Doyle
Cinematographer/Photographer
NYC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]