FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressor jaggies on After Effects created text

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tony Marion
Compressor jaggies on After Effects created text
on Jan 19, 2011 at 4:52:59 pm

Hello all,

I searched the forums and could not find an answer to my dilemma, so I apologize if it's already been covered.

I've had great results with Compressor turning HD into SD for in-store promos played from DVD - except when it comes to text. I am almost finished with an all-graphics/text thing in AE (1280 x 720, square pixels) which looks great rendered but not so much after Compressor has had it's way with it. I've tried rendering from AE as animation and Pro Res 422 HQ and get the same results either way - bad jaggies on curves and some strobing in contrast areas.

Anyone with a solution, be it settings or different compression software altogether, would be very appreciated!

Thanks,
Tony

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
Re: Compressor jaggies on After Effects created text
on Jan 21, 2011 at 11:49:07 am

In my opinion BitVice for encoding and downscaling HD for DVD's gives better results than Compressor. Well worth a try, especially as their later versions have improved quality considerably.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Tony Marion
on Jan 21, 2011 at 12:10:44 pm

Thanks for the advice - checking it out today.

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Jan 22, 2011 at 9:16:02 pm

hey mate,
as there are different encoder, you should test every one with your footage.

sometimes you get better results with compressor, sometimes with bitvice - I had good results with mainconcept reference as well, where all others fu**ed up.

so you need to test every encoder with your source-material and have a look which one will do best!

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Jan 22, 2011 at 9:18:36 pm

...forgot something:

as for downscaling - I really like innobits purifier - it´s doing a really great job.

especially if you have 1440x1080material that need to go 1920x1080... but also for downscaleing to SD.

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Jan 23, 2011 at 11:24:02 am

Daniel, really interesting what you say about Purifier. I was advised to use it sparingly when encoding with BitVice and I just go to setting 1 which does (I think) improve the image on a DVD. What I haven't done is downscale with it or, and this is what I'm asking, does the BitVice downscale use Purifier for this task?

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Jan 23, 2011 at 2:25:37 pm

michael,
as far as I remember - the latest builts of bitvice encoder have the purifer-allgorithm built in - but not the whole options.

I discussed this with roger from innobits a few times.

my advice is: if you would like to downscale from HD to SD use purifier, because it is doing that VERYgood.

it could do real good upscaling as well (for example from anamorph HD-formats to the square-pixel-ones) 1440 vs 1920 or 960 vs 1280.

it will take time to do so, but it´ll have an incredible quality - purifier is worth the price.

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Jan 23, 2011 at 5:33:20 pm

Daniel, thanks for that but how do you use Purifier just for downscaling ? I know you can clean up an image using it within BitVice but what about as a stand alone application? I have it installed on my edit MacPro. When I open Purifier how do I go about downscaling an HD timeline? Any pointers would be appreciated.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Jan 23, 2011 at 7:39:16 pm

hi michael,
first of all drag your film on the purifier-icon, so purifier will open your film.

next step will be to set your output-resolution. you need to open your project properties (cmd-p) and set the output-resolution on the right-hand sind.

note: you also need to set if it is interlaced or progressive source-material. that will be set on the left-hand-side of the project properties.

then you can start the purifier-process.

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Jan 24, 2011 at 4:05:47 pm

Many thanks Daniel, I can see where to drag to in Purifier but what do I drag? Presumably I first of all have to export my HD timeline from the edit (in my case from Media 100). I normally export as a QT .mov in Apple ProRes HQ 422. Am I right in this? What sort of file to I get back?

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Jan 24, 2011 at 5:14:39 pm

hi again,
of course purifier need to have a (selfcontained) quicktime-movie, so your first step would be to export from media100.

apple Pro Res HQ would be good - uncompressed would be better (if you have time and disk-space).

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Jan 24, 2011 at 7:28:13 pm

Thanks Danny, I thought so. I import my XDCAM HD footage as Apple ProRes HQ and edit in that codec. It is so good that this is a widespread practice in that very little quality is lost and the saving in drive space immense.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]