FORUMS: list search recent posts

SD DVD vs. Blu Ray for Movie Theater Projection

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Melissa Townsend
SD DVD vs. Blu Ray for Movie Theater Projection
on Jan 9, 2011 at 7:04:59 pm

My 10 minute short shot on the canon 5D mark II is showing at a film fest.
It will be played on a DVD player, but projected onto a movie theater-sized screen.
I have the option of submitting an SD DVD or Blu Ray. I can easily make an SD DVD, but is it worth it to get someone to make me a Blu Ray disc?

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: SD DVD vs. Blu Ray for Movie Theater Projection
on Jan 9, 2011 at 7:41:36 pm

By all means make a BluRay disc. Making a sime play only BluRay should be less than a $100. Bluray burners are getting pretty cheap and making screeners like this is pretty easy. The expensive comes in when you are trying to make something that can be replicated.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
Re: SD DVD vs. Blu Ray for Movie Theater Projection
on Jan 9, 2011 at 10:08:24 pm

I have had both SD DVD's and Blu-Ray projected in a cinema and provided they have an upscaling Blu-Ray player your DVD should look pretty good. Obviously it would be preferable to project a BD but not critical. If you're shooting and editing in HD why not do your own BD's? I just got the Lacie stand alone burner which goes into the MacPro through a USB 2 connection and it works fine. I use Toast 10 (with the BD plug in) to encode and burn and the results are great. Post houses charge quite a lot for stuff quite easily done by us in our edit suite.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]