FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVDAfterEdit insists dual-layer disc - WORKAROUND

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christopher Smith
DVDAfterEdit insists dual-layer disc - WORKAROUND
on Dec 24, 2010 at 2:18:42 am

I wanted to document this issue in case someone else has the problem.

I authored a single-layer SD DVD in DVD Studio Pro. I wanted to create a DDP for replication, and I prefer to use DVDAfterEdit for that, as I also use it for other purposes. It's a nice program for changing things "under the hood" to which DVDSP doesn't give access.

DVDAfterEdit (AftEd) asks for a VIDEO_TS folder and works on that. When I selected the VIDEO_TS folder for my latest DVD, AftEd said it was a dual-layer disc. It's less than 3.8 GB, and is not a dual-layer project. Facing a deadline to ship to replicators, I needed a quick solution.

I tried deleting the VIDEO_TS folder so DVDSP would have to build from scratch, and not keep some (possibly damaged) files. AftEd still reported it was a dual-layer project. I removed the layout files from the folder so AftEd couldn't refer to them (guessing that DVDSP had placed incorrect information in them). That made no difference.

WORKAROUND: I had needed to burn a DVD anyway as a check disc for the client, so I put that in the drive & pointed AftEd to the VIDEO_TS folder on the physical DVD. AftEd reported it as a single-layer disc (it could hardly argue otherwise), and I was able to build a DDP from that (albeit more slowly than doing so from hard drive files). I prefer to build from the hard drive files, as the burned disc may not be a perfect digital copy.

I've since checked AftEd on other projects, and they display correctly as single-layer discs, so the issue appears to be with DVDSP on this one project.

I hope this workaround can help someone else sweating bullets.

Christopher Smith

CBN WorldReach

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
Re: DVDAfterEdit insists dual-layer disc - WORKAROUND
on Dec 24, 2010 at 11:15:13 pm

hey chris,
I´m a long-term-user of DVD AE and neer had an issue like that. have you emailed larry to tell him taht issue!?

happy x-mas

danny

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]