FORUMS: list search recent posts

PAL vs NTSC which should i use?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Chap
PAL vs NTSC which should i use?
on Dec 15, 2010 at 9:21:26 pm

I'm working in DVD architect pro. My client's videos are 1080x720 and will obviously have to be converted to a lower resolution to go on a DVD. I did some graphics for it in a higher resolution that I also had to shrink to the correct DVD resolution

I did the project in NTSC but it seems like the resolution isn't very great. Should I redo it in PAL for the extra lines of resolution? Will this cause any noticeable difference in resolution? (Frame rate shouldn't matter too much as the videos are mostly just text moving across the screen.)

Are there still DVD players around the won't play PAL DVDs?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
Re: PAL vs NTSC which should i use?
on Dec 15, 2010 at 9:27:40 pm

Hi Andrew,
you wont be able to play any PAL-DVD in others than PAL-countries, so the aswer is YES - there are even more countries that couldn´t play PAL-DVDs, like the US as well.

NTSC-players wont play PAL, but PAL-players would play NTSC-DVDs.

that´s the reason why int. DVD/BD-productions are created with NTSC-framerates, so there is no use to redo your disk with PAL.

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

Andrew Chap
on Dec 15, 2010 at 10:57:43 pm

ah, well seeing as i'm in the US of A i think i will stick to the NTSC!

Thank ya!

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Dec 16, 2010 at 8:05:24 pm

Daniel, I don't agree with you.I always find that my PAL DVD's play in NTSC land. Only last evening one of my DVD's was projected by an American player and was fine, although I have to admit there were a couple of brief 'stutters' which I don't get at home. I think most modern players will play both.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Dec 16, 2010 at 8:16:18 pm

You maybe able to find a DVD that plays pal over here but MOST US DVD players will NOT play pal disc.

Return to posts index

Marianna Ellenberg
on Dec 23, 2010 at 7:21:20 pm

SO, I am about to screen my videos in London. I can just bring two ntsc dvds? I didnt know that ntsc plays in pal players.

Thanks.

Marianna

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Dec 16, 2010 at 10:09:29 pm

Hi Andrew,

Don't mess around with the DVD specs, or you will have headaches down the road with incompatibility with clients.

You mentioned 1080x720 source video - what format is that? 720p is 1280x720, and I think there is a variant at 960x720, but 1080x720 I'm not familiar with.

Anyway, NTSC DVD must be 720x480 in the end

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Andrew Chap
on Dec 17, 2010 at 6:23:53 pm

Whoops, i think they were 1280x720. But yea, if its more of an issue of compatibility rather than resolution i'm going to stick to NTSC. Thanks for the help guys. This forum hath saved me!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]