FORUMS: list search recent posts

Vob to mov keeping the quality?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
anna conlon
Vob to mov keeping the quality?
on Dec 13, 2010 at 10:05:08 pm

I'm trying to covert Vob files into .mov in order to edit the files in final cut. I purchased this Wondershare Video Converter thinking (after a quick trial) it would be sufficient! But even at the highest setting possible the quality is terrible after the conversion! As is the image is pixelated. I've also tried MPEG Streamclip at its highest quality and this gives me horizontal lines in the video. I can import the vob directly into final cut and render it but this gives me the same horizontal lines.

Is it possible to convert vobs at the same quality or am I wasting my time? The footage isn't great as it is so losing quality isn't an option.

Advice appreciated

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
Re: Vob to mov keeping the quality?
on Dec 14, 2010 at 12:29:10 am

I use MPEG Stream Clip on a daily basis for this kind of stuff. What codec are you converting to? Should be an uncompressed or lossless codec like ProRes

Return to posts index

Rob Neidig
Re: Vob to mov keeping the quality?
on Dec 14, 2010 at 4:34:55 pm

It sounds like you're having some sort of issue, because you should be able to get better quality, like Eric mentions. But remember, if you are starting with a VOB, you are starting with video that has already been compressed. Converting it to a Quicktime file, then editing it, and possibly compressing it AGAIN to go back to DVD or to the web, will result in continuing degradation of the video. If you can start from the actual source file, you will get much better end results.

Have fun!

Rob

Rob Neidig
R&R Media Productions
Eugene, Oregon

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]