FORUMS: list search recent posts

Performance Quality DVDs

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hillary Leben
Performance Quality DVDs
on Dec 2, 2010 at 6:22:34 pm

Hello all,
I am using DVD studio Pro and Compressor to create performance disks for a theatrical presentation. The videos will be projected from DVD decks. The disks I will make will have about 30 minutes worth of video on each of them.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice as to the best settings to use in compressor, and DVD studio Pro to get very very smooth motion and very good image quality.

In the past I've experienced some "sticky motion" on disks that I use in this manner. I also have a lot of problems with moire, and so I prefer to work in progressive.

Thanks in advance!
H

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
Re: Performance Quality DVDs
on Dec 3, 2010 at 9:08:25 pm

Hi Hillary,
if your disk will only have 30min. you can create your own preset with CBR 7.8MBit, and dolby digital audio@192kbit/s for stereo-sound.

there are also some adjustments necessary on the dolby-setting to get an 1:1-sound, you need to set the dialoge-normalisation to -31dBfs and you need to turn off the compression on the preprocessing-tab, otherwise it´ll be compressed.

the main problem is the presentation!

if the video will be presented with beamers, you need to know how the players are connected to the beamer. if they use a composite or component-connection the beamer wil expect interlaced material. if it´ll have an HDMI-connection you need to look for the dvd-player-settings as well, what it´ll output to the beamer, is it progressive or interlaced.

keep in mind that something needs to do the de-interlacing! maybe the beamer, maybe the player itself.

could you please tell us at what framerate you´ve shot the films?

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

Hillary Leben
on Dec 4, 2010 at 2:16:05 am

Thanks a lot for the response.

My footage is almost all created in After Effects, so I have a lot of control, it's simply a question of rendering it correctly. I have been rendering the files at 29.97, animation codec, and progressive.. Next I will go through compressor, or.. go directly into DVD sp.

Unfortunately, it seems as though DVD studio Pro is not even capable of a standard def progressive DVD. So even if I could get the deck and projectors speaking progressive, I would still end up with an interlaced image! So frustrating!

We've been working in interlace in the past.. I just thought progressive would probably help me with all of the moire, but I can take care of that with filters, as I've been doing.

So do you suggest using compressor with a constant bit rate of 7.8.. or let DVD studio pro do the encoding?

Thanks again,
Hillary

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Dec 4, 2010 at 3:53:36 am

[Hillary Leben] "Unfortunately, it seems as though DVD studio Pro is not even capable of a standard def progressive DVD"
Not true at all. But you do need a Progressive player hooked up to a progressive monitor/projector via the component cables.

Always encode with Compressor and not in DVDSP for best results.
7.8Mbps is a little high, I recommend 7Mbps CBR but max should be no higher than 7.5.

Return to posts index

Hillary Leben
on Dec 4, 2010 at 4:05:59 am

Thanks for your help..
What version of DVD SP are you using? In 4, it seems as though the standard progressive option is gone. :(

I've been reading on this all day and still haven't found a way to do it...

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Dec 4, 2010 at 5:40:54 am

Never recommend you encoding in DVDSP, use compressor.

But you need to export out of AE as 29.97 PRogressive, then in Compressor you set the field dominance to Progressive.

DVDSP will show in the info it as 29.97i (even if it is 23.98p) because that is DVD spec, but Progressive DVDs know how to put the progressive frame back together. It is confusing but this is a DVD thing and not a DVDSP thing.

Return to posts index

Hillary Leben
on Dec 4, 2010 at 6:24:51 am

Thanks for this.

I will run some more tests!

I did render progressive. I encoded progressive. When I viewed it from the player, I'm sure I saw fields. I was using RCA cables into an LCD screen.

Could that be why?

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Dec 4, 2010 at 2:50:13 pm

RCA is the kind of ends not the cable. If it is not component cables 3 for video and you set the DVD to output progressive in its menu then yes it is interlaced.

Return to posts index

Hillary Leben
on Dec 4, 2010 at 4:51:08 pm

You rock!

Thanks so much for all of this info.

The only detail I am still not clear on is how, exactly, to set DVD studio Pro so that it will output a progressive disk? Where, exactly, is the setting? Is there a setting? Or should it burn progressive if the footage is progressive?

All of the field stuff is set to automatic, and progressive is not an option.. there is the 480i that you mentioned. Those are the only places I see options in the standard menus.

Hillary

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Dec 5, 2010 at 4:27:00 am

If you have encoded all the video before hand there is nothing to set. There is no such thing as a progressive dvd, just progressive assets on a DVD.

Return to posts index

Hillary Leben
on Dec 5, 2010 at 4:28:18 am

This is fantastic news!!!

Thanks for your help. :)

Hillary

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Dec 5, 2010 at 2:33:30 pm

we never had any problem with bitrates arround 8-8.5 MBit on DVD+/-R, same with DL-DVDs.

but if you will be sure that bitrate wont cause a problem you might stay a bit below 8Mbit.

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

Hillary Leben
on Dec 4, 2010 at 4:08:47 am

ALso, here are the specs for the projector. I was working with the deck today.. it had "progressive scan" written on the front of it.

These are the specs I have on their projector:
Sony VPL LCD projector
Standard zoom lense
15 HD-M to 5 BNC-F Breakout Adapter
100' RGB-HV cable set

Thanks

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Dec 5, 2010 at 11:25:44 pm

Just to jump in here, but if you can build your animations in HD, even 720p, you can make pretty great looking BluRay discs with Toast 10. And since you can but BluRay players for under 100 bucks, there's no reason not to, unless you have SD footage. You can even fit up to about 34 minutes on a standard DVD-R disc, making it even more of a no-brainer.

Send the video to the projector with an HDMI cable and you are all set.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production and Post
Owner/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Hillary Leben
on Dec 5, 2010 at 11:35:25 pm

Rich,
Thanks for that suggestion. The problem for me working in HD, is that most of my material is archival.. montages of very old photos, and sometimes archival film, so it's difficult to find them in a high enough resolution to even fill a 864x486 screen.. let alone 1920x1080.

I was wondering about the possibility of creating a blueray disk at a standard aspect ratio. Do you think it would be worth it?

Hillary

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]