FORUMS: list search recent posts

mpeg2 codecs. What's the best one?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Thompson
mpeg2 codecs. What's the best one?
on Dec 2, 2010 at 10:25:25 am

I've been researching codecs and I'm confused. I have a project, 90 minute live concert, shot in HDVCPRO. I've exported using the mainconcept encoder in Premier Pro CS5. I have a TV about 10 years old. The picture of my video is just not that sharp. I know the TV is old but I've looked at other dvds that have been encoded for mpeg2 and they look better than mine. I have good footage and it looks great on my computer. I've tried a lot of different settings and believe I have the best settings but I'm wondering if the Mainconcept encoder is just not that great.

I've read about HC, and AviSynth (which looks like a can of worms) and a few others.

Any suggestions on how I can export my video to mpeg2 with the best quality for people who have old TVs?

Thanks

Tim

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: mpeg2 codecs. What's the best one?
on Dec 2, 2010 at 4:00:09 pm

First off- what is HDVCPRO? There's HDV and there's DVCPROHD but those are completely different things. Secondly- MPEG-2 is the codec. What you should be asking is what's the best encoder- it will always be MPEG-2 codec regardless. Honestly it probably wouldn't matter what encoder you use- a 10 year old TV is what it is. There's no 'looks better on a 10 year old TV setting.' Pick the best possible MPEG-2 quality settings from your encoder i.e. 2-pass, high bitrate, etc and go from there.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Canon 5D Mark II and 7D.

Return to posts index

Tim Thompson
on Dec 2, 2010 at 6:06:09 pm

Thanks for setting me straight on that. My footage is DVCPROHD. Also, I'm an audio guy and a full time musician. I had a four camera crew shoot this and I am editing it myself. I wanted to pick the shots to use. Anyhow, I have a lot to learn but I've edited a 90 minute concert and had a guy do some color correction.

I figured the TV was part of the problem, but I also thought that if I get the absolute best encoder to output the movie, then maybe the picture would improve some on my TV. Am I totally wrong about that?

Some have suggested CBR instead of VBR. Any thoughts about that?

Thanks again!

Tim

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Dec 2, 2010 at 9:25:16 pm

Comb through the boards- the best encodes typically take the longest- i.e. using the maximum quality settings without going over data rates- i.e. stay below about 7.9 Mbps and also use 2-pass encoding. I prefer VBR to CBR but you'll read lots of debates on this.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Canon 5D Mark II and 7D.

Return to posts index

Judy Brown
on Dec 6, 2010 at 2:57:29 am

Hello, if you want to play the videos on TV, via regular dvd players, you should know most dvd players only recognize standard video dvd which include VOB,IOF and BUP files, and can'tr recognize separate mpeg2 codecs on dvd disc, you need to convert the mpeg2 video to the right standard video dvd formats then burn to any cd or dvd discs to play well on TV via regular dvd players.

Hello, everypne, welcome to my profile

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]