FORUMS: list search recent posts

Aspect Ratio / Resolution problem (DVD Architect)

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Chap
Aspect Ratio / Resolution problem (DVD Architect)
on Nov 24, 2010 at 9:56:40 pm

My project was done in DVD Architect and set to 720X480.

First of all, my main question is: What does "720x480" actually mean? I feel like it can't be pixels, because that seems like a horrendously low resolution. I created my DVD menu graphic in photoshop at a size of 720x480 and when burned to a dvd it looks like it was done at low resolution, which wasn't surprising. What resolution should I use in photoshop to get something that will take up the full screen of a 720x480 DVD?

Second, when I burn this project to a DVD and play it on a widescreen TV, the actual videos look fine (they were done in iMovie to be widescreen, and the do in fact take up the entire screen and look great) but the menu gets squished so that it would look like it would fit on a standard screen, as does the introduction media (done in vegas pro). Does anyone know the best way to make a DVD menu look good on a 720x480 DVD played on a widescreen?

Any help on this would be fantastic, my client is getting antsy. Thanks so much.

-Drew

(next time I'm going to think twice before taking a DVD authoring job)

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: Aspect Ratio / Resolution problem (DVD Architect)
on Nov 24, 2010 at 10:55:57 pm

DVD is 720x480, yes it is the pixel count. How are you watching the DVD.

In Photoshop you need to start with video>NTSC > widescreen image. Pixel correction turned on. The problem with just making a 720z480 in PS is that uses square pixels and video is rectangular. WS is 1.2 (wider than tall) Reg is .9 (taller than wide).

Return to posts index

Andrew Chap
on Nov 25, 2010 at 3:39:22 pm

Cool, much thanks, I did not consider that before. (I'm at my parents house for thanksgiving but will try it when I get back on Monday.)

But the 720x480 still seems small to me, considering the fact that my home computer monitor is 1024x768 which by modern standards isn't that great.

-Drew

Return to posts index

Dave Friend
on Nov 26, 2010 at 6:13:53 pm

[Andrew Chap] "But the 720x480 still seems small to me, considering the fact that my home computer monitor is 1024x768 which by modern standards isn't that great."

Is sucks but standard def is 720x480. Remember that DVD was designed to show standard definition video - on TV sets not computer displays, not HDTV displays. Painful but that's the reality.

Dave

Return to posts index

Andrew Chap
on Nov 29, 2010 at 3:10:47 am

Hmmm and I think the videos are in widescreen (he did them in iMovie). Is there any way to tell the exact specifications of a .mov file so that I can make my photoshop file and dvd project the same? He also said he did the movies in HD though I don't think you can put HD videos on a regular DVD?

Thanks again guys for helping me out. Y'all are lifesavers!

-Drew

Return to posts index

Dave Friend
on Nov 29, 2010 at 5:51:02 pm

[Andrew Chap] "I think the videos are in widescreen"

This does not affect the size - it will still be 720x480. However, if you look at wide screen in a 4x3 screen everything will be squeezed horizontally.

I assume that you also have Vegas? Importing the mov file into that should let you examine the properties of the file to determine the aspect ratio, file codec, etc.

[Andrew Chap] "I don't think you can put HD videos on a regular DVD?"
That is correct. The HD has to be down-converted to SD.

Dave Friend

Return to posts index

Andrew Chap
on Dec 6, 2010 at 8:35:01 pm

Thanks so much everyone! Pixel aspect ratio is finally solved!

And if anyone feels like helping me out some more, haha, here is my next question.

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/55/864363

Once this is resolved I am done with this project and my life will become much better.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]