FORUMS: list search recent posts

iDVD 8 chapter marker problem

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tibor Torok
iDVD 8 chapter marker problem
on Nov 19, 2010 at 1:09:04 am

Hey.

I'm new to this but i need some help with iDVD 8 software. I have burned a 3 1/2 hour movie on a dual layer DVD. I selected to have the chapter markers included which is on the DVD (when I play it in my DVD player), however it does not let me play per chapter when I click on any of the chapters with the remote. Same thing happens when I try it in other players and my iMac. When I play the menu in the iDVD before I burn it to a DVD, it plays great. But it doesn't burn the feature, it only shows that it is there on the DVD. Any Help?

Return to posts index

Christopher Smith
Re: iDVD 8 chapter marker problem
on Nov 19, 2010 at 11:18:22 pm

[Tibor Torok] "it does not let me play per chapter when I click on any of the chapters with the remote."

Hi Tibor

What button are you clicking on your remote? Next chapter (which looks like an arrow)? It's difficult to know what the problem is without seeing the disc.

Please try to describe exactly what you're burning onto the DVD, what you're doing to play it back, and what it does (or doesn't do).

Christopher Smith

CBN WorldReach

Return to posts index

Tibor Torok
on Nov 20, 2010 at 3:00:16 am

Hey.

Thanks for the response. I have burned a 3 1/2 hour video in quicktime format on a double layer Verbatim DVD. I used an iMac provided template to set up the DVD menu which consist of: 3 separate clips each consisting about an hour or so video. Each has a chapter marker ( set up per iDVD 8 every 5 minutes). So, when you insert the DVD in the DVD player, the main menu shows ( 3 different clips) When you highlight one of the clips to play the movie ( it goes to another menu which has the option to "Play Movie" or "Scene Selection"). If you click on the "Play Movie" option, it will play the movie from beginning to end with the option of fast forward or back, no problem. If you select the "Scene Selection" numerous chapters show on the next menu starting with "Chapter 1" and so on (every five minutes). As I click on (with the DVD player remote) on one of the chapters by pressing the "play" button, the chapter highlights itself ( in yellow) to play but nothing happens. It just won't play any chapters I would want to go to. I tried to go to the "Play Movie" option and see if I can skip to each chapter by pressing the remote controls "next chapter button". It automatically, goes to the beginning of the movie as if there were no chapters set up in the beginning, even though it shows the chapters ( every five minutes). I have discarded all cookies, plist files that pertains to iDVD and also re booted several time. Nothing works. I can burn the movies on the DVD as automatic play but I need chapters for sure. Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Christopher Smith
on Nov 22, 2010 at 4:01:15 pm

Oh boy, Tibor. Sadly, I don't have a sure solution. As iDVD does a lot behind the scenes, but doesn't give you the ability to look under the hood, it's difficult to say what's causing this problem.

It sounds like you've done what you should. Because chapter selection works neither from Chapter Selection menu nor from within playback (using the remote's Next Ch button), it is pretty clear to me that iDVD isn't putting the chapters into each video.

If you're using iDVD, I assume you don't have Final Cut Pro and Compressor, in which case you can't convert your Quicktime movie (you didn't say what format it is, but I assume it's not .m2v already) before putting it into iDVD.

My recommendation would be to try putting less on a disc. You have 3 one+ hour videos, so I would try putting two on a disc and one on the other disc. I realize you want the convenience of having it all on one disc, but it's possible that reducing the amount of video will cause iDVD to do its job better. This shouldn't be necessary, but with iDVD, trying different things eventually often gives the desired result.

Christopher Smith

CBN WorldReach

Return to posts index

Tibor Torok
DVD burning problem
on May 27, 2016 at 1:04:10 pm

Hi Chris. Wondering if you have any feeback to my problem below. i post it last week. thanks.

Hello.

I'm experiencing a file to DVD burn problem.

I have a quicktime video file (exported from Final Cut HD editing software to Quicktime movie). Imported the file to Toast Titanium 10 burning software to burn on DVD. The resolution of DVD playback in the DVD player deteriorated significantly. (playing the QT movie file on my iMac, running Lion 10.7 looks great. The video was shot on SD Mini DV. It is still much higher quality than burning and playing on DVD format in a SD DVD player. Please let me know if more information is needed to repair the quality on the final DVD product. Thank you.

CreativeT

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]