FORUMS: list search recent posts

burning 60i mov to DVD - bottom first?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Punsala
burning 60i mov to DVD - bottom first?
on Nov 18, 2010 at 12:56:08 am

I hope someone can help as I am going crazy trying to figure this out. I am converting old 8mm video to DVD using an AVCDmini going into the capturing software at high quality.

This bring in an uncompressed 8 bit mov file with these specs. 720X480 FPS 29.97

From an AVDC pdf, they advised to change the format of the file in FCP.

"Choose “Field Dominance” and choose ‘Upper (odd)’ from context menu. NB: If this is not done, the movie might be exported with inverted fields."

I adjusted this and found that if I drop the mov into a 54.94 sequence I get a smooth flowing mov file on export.

Here is where I get confused. Some how I managed to burn a SD DVD with this same flowing motion using DVD studio pro. I can't for the life of me remember or figure out what my settings were.

I've tried almost all combinations when compressing the file to dvd of field dominance: bottom first/top first/progress and output field: top/bottom/progress and cannot figure it out.

The resulting build file plays back smoothly when viewed on my computer using DVD player but something is going wrong when I burn it to dvd and watch it on a regular TV set.

I reimported the good dvd VOB and checked the stats in mpeg stream clip and it said it was "lower field first".

I am at a loss. Please help! I'd love to surprise my family over Christmas with a beautiful dvd of old memories!

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: burning 60i mov to DVD - bottom first?
on Nov 18, 2010 at 5:24:55 am

[Chris Punsala] "From an AVDC pdf, they advised to change the format of the file in FCP."
That makes no sense, why would you change the format in FCP.

[Chris Punsala] ""Choose “Field Dominance” and choose ‘Upper (odd)’ from context menu. NB: If this is not done, the movie might be exported with inverted fields.""
This is just flat not wrong. NTSC (720x480) is always lower first, always.

54.97? no such thing, but if you mean 59.94, that is the way HD states it, you do not want to be in HD anywhere. You are starting is SD, and ending with SD, HD should not be anywhere in your workflow.

Your entire workflow is lower first.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]