FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compression Computer Build

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Bell
Compression Computer Build
on Nov 15, 2010 at 1:14:39 pm

Hi,

Im not sure if this is the right thread, but....

Im trying to build a PC for the main purpose of compressing either MPEG2 or AVC streams for DVD & BD authoring. Im using a mixture of applications, but I guess the main one would be Sonic Cinevision.
My question is; would it be better to build a single processor Intel i7 machine or go for a dual processor multi-core xeon? Im not fully sure of how well the program makes use of multi threading or in fact what other factors might be worth considering.

Thanks for any help and advise!
Tom.

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
Re: Compression Computer Build
on Nov 15, 2010 at 8:49:45 pm

Haven't used it on an i7 or xeon but Cinevision does make use of multi-threading. However, instead of buying a 15k encoder, have you thought of using x264? Its open source and free and does a much better job then Cinevision will ever do. No segment encoding though. In fact, with all factor equal, it will beat or match just about any AVC encoder around....encoders costing 70k! So I would do some more research before laying down that kind of cash.

Im using it on an upcoming surf BD title - very happy with the results

Return to posts index

Dave Friend
Re: Compression Computer Build
on Nov 18, 2010 at 1:09:40 am

Tom,

Most of the CPU-Geek sites I've found show performance test scores that indicate it makes very little difference. Multi-core performs better with some tests while dual CPUs perform better at others.

From a value perspective the i7 multicore seems to be the best bet.

Dave

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]