FORUMS: list search recent posts

understanding bit rate setting in DVDA

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Colin Anderson
understanding bit rate setting in DVDA
on Nov 14, 2010 at 10:15:01 pm

Hi,

Can someone explain to me the relationship between the bit rate of a file and the default bit rate setting in DVDA. I understand that when space is an issue, one will want to lower the default bit rate to fit the file on the disk. But if space is not an issue, do you want to set it to the maximum bit rate supported by the media you are burning to or do you want to match it to the bit rates of the file?

If your file video for instance is 17Mbps with a 256kbps audio track, and you are burning it on a 25GB Blu-Ray disk. Is there a benefit to setting the default bit rate to 40Mbps and set the audio to 640Kbps in the project properties, both of which are the maximum bit rate supported for Blu-Ray? Again, if space is not an issue.

And on the same subject, when rendering a video file in Vegas Pro, are there any benefits to render it at a higher bit rate than it's original bit rate? ie: a video file of 17Mbps with a 256Kbps audio track rendered at 25Mbps video and 448kbps audio.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Christopher Smith
Re: understanding bit rate setting in DVDA
on Nov 19, 2010 at 8:25:39 pm

Hi Colin

The bit-rate setting in any authoring program is only there for the purpose of encoding video (or audio) which comes in without having been encoded. If you encode all your videos before importing them to your authoring software—as is consistently recommended on this forum—you won't ever actually "use" the bit-rate setting of the authoring program.

Christopher Smith

CBN WorldReach

Return to posts index

Colin Anderson
on Nov 20, 2010 at 2:42:15 am

Hi Chris,

Hey thanks a lot for replying to my numerous threads which, as you may have guessed all refer to the same project I'm working on. Indeed, all of the video files have gone through Sony Vegas prior to going into DVDA. So what you're saying is that a file that goes into DVDA that is compliant will not be affected by the default bit rate. Only the files that require re-compressing will. And this is shown by moving the bit rate slider up and down. While the compliant file sizes remain the same, the non compliant ones change. Fair enough, however I'm still not 100% clear on the video files used for menu backgrounds. Although they come into DVDA as compliant, because I add text and buttons in DVDA, now they require re-compressing. So what should I set the bit rate at in this case?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Colin Anderson
on Mar 15, 2011 at 6:37:49 am

Nevermind,

I've figured out that when it comes to the menu pages, set it to whatever space allows. I had enough space left to set the bit rate to 40 000 so that's what i did.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]