FORUMS: list search recent posts

Blu ray looks great on stand alone player but interlaced using media player. Why?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Colin Anderson
Blu ray looks great on stand alone player but interlaced using media player. Why?
on Nov 14, 2010 at 9:27:46 pm

Hi,

I created a Blu-Ray project in Vegas pro. The video sequences were 1920x1080-60i, all in the 17300kbps range, upper field first along with 5.1 ac-3 audio. I matched that in the project properties. I rendered the video in the Sony AVC Blu-Ray template, chose Blue-Ray 1920x1080@60i, upper field first, NTSC 29.970fps, selected AVC as the format and upped the bit rate to 20Mbps. I rendered the audio in ac-3 pro 5.1 separately.

I have two computers here. One is my workstation hooked up to an LCD 1920x1200 monitor and the other an HTPC hooked up to an LCD HDTV with a native resolution of 1920x1080p. Now when I view the resulting avc file on either systems using Power DVD 10, it looks fine but when I burn the file to a Blu-Ray disk, and play it on my HTPC (hooked up to my HDTV) again using Power DVD 10, I see interlacing. But then if I play the disk in a stand alone Blu-Ray player on that same HDTV, it looks fine. Why?

I originally thought that is was because I left the de-interlacing method to none in the properties in Vegas pro but then as a test I rendered a file with Blend fields as the de-interlacing method in the properties but it made no difference.

I also tried enabling the de-interlacing setting in my graphic' card control panel but it made no difference. The disk by the way looks fine when viewed on my workstation.

Can anybody explain this to me?

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Christopher Smith
Re: Blu ray looks great on stand alone player but interlaced using media player. Why?
on Nov 19, 2010 at 8:19:21 pm

Hi Colin

It sounds like you've ruled out the HDTV itself, as it handles the video fine from a BD player but not from PowerDVD.

One possibility is that PowerDVD isn't handling the interlaced video well. You preserved 60i throughout the workflow, so it doesn't sound like any issues have been introduced by your workflow.

The other possibility is that something else is happening to your AVC video file before it makes it onto the BD. Is Vegas Pro trying to re-encode it?

Really, no great ideas here, just guesses. Interlacing sucks. I know it had its reasons when it was invented, but I wish it would go away! ;-)

Christopher Smith

CBN WorldReach

Return to posts index

Colin Anderson
Re: Blu ray looks great on stand alone player but interlaced using media player. Why?
on Nov 20, 2010 at 4:14:14 am

So I did have reasons to be puzzled by this.

To clarify, the interlaced file (AVC) plays fine on it's own via PowerDVD 10 on all displays but when burnt on a Blu-Ray disk, it plays fine on the stand alone Blu-Ray player and the LCD monitor (using Power DVD 10 as the player) but on the HDTV (using Power DVD 10 as the player) it shows interlacing. I think I can rule out my graphics card as well because when playing back blu-Ray disks with Power DVD 10, it would seem that hardware acceleration is disabled. But I'm not 100% sure of that. But if that is the case, then it would mean that my TV is not handling de-interlacing properly. Yeah but then how can I explain that when playing the avc file on it's own, if I disable both hardware (from graphics card) and software (power DVD) de-interlacing, the file still plays fine.

Man I'm stumped on this one.

In any case, I gotta say, I never knew the true potential of my HDTV until I bought this stand alone Blu-Ray player. Blu-Ray disks look so much better! Before that I was using my Blu-Ray rom on my HTPC and Power DVD 10. Man, there's no comparison!

Colin.

Return to posts index

Colin Anderson
on Mar 16, 2011 at 10:27:28 pm

I think I understand the reason now. I think. It's because Power DVD 10 disables all it's advanced options such as hardware acceleration and de-interlacing when playing Blu-Ray disks because by default it assumes all Blu-Ray disks are progressive scan. In addition, my TV, in PC mode, apparently doesn't perform any de-interlacing because, once again I assume that it figures there's no need for de-interlacing.

Does that make sense?

Return to posts index

Colin Anderson
on Mar 16, 2011 at 10:40:08 pm

Actually, I got it to work. Turns out that I can enable de-interlacing in Power DVD 10 and pick the method if I do it before loading the disk.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]