FORUMS: list search recent posts

Burning HD DVD Not working

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Leon Hunter
Burning HD DVD Not working
on Nov 12, 2010 at 1:06:45 am

RE: HVDVD_TS folder??

I have a problem. I started out on HD in final cut from final cut I put into DVD Studio Pro and when I go to build it gives me the same folder HVDVD_TS. Every time I burn into DVD it never works. I thought i was suppose to have two folders not one. Can I make this folder HVDVD_TS into a DVD so it can work? I am using a regular DVD standard time. Thank you if you can help me.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: Burning HD DVD Not working
on Nov 12, 2010 at 3:18:56 am

You have to start over.

HD DVD is a dead format.

You have to encode the video as SD m2v and then author a SD DVD.

Return to posts index

achille lalonde
Re: Burning HD DVD Not working/ SD not working either
on Jan 9, 2011 at 6:36:19 pm

I had the same issue as reported in this thread so i went back to compressor, and generated an SD version which i brought back to DVDSP

imported the new asset and generated a new dvd, which still doesn't seem to want to play on standard DVD player

would greatly appreciate some support as i spent days trying to do this simple task before even discovering that HD DVD was a dead format

cheers,
achille

attaching logs from both compressor and DVDSP

from Compressor 3.5 batch monitor log

Stream Type: MPEG-2 Video Elementary
Frame Dimensions: 720x480
Frame Rate: 29.970030 progressive, pulldown from 23.976025
Aspect Ratio: 16:9
Video Format: NTSC / SMPTE 170M
Chroma Format: 4:2:0
GOP Pattern: 12/3 closed IBB
Rate Control: 1-pass VBR 6200000 bps target, 7700000 bps max
Motion Estimation: +l2orig+l0mbloop+smoothing+pnofield+bnofield

from DVDSP 4.0 build log

Note: The file ‘VOB_DATA.LAY’ found in the ‘HVDVD_TS’ folder is not a DVD-Video file and will not be included in the final disc or DLT.
Start formatting
Formatting as Standard DVD
Simulation mode is off
Lossless linking is on
Number of layers is 1
Doing side 1 of 1
Playable in region 1,2,3,4,5,6,8
Disc size is 12 cm
Disc has no copyright material
Writing UDF 2.50 structures
Writing files
Writing final UDF information
Formatting finished.

achille lalonde
independent film maker
Nelson, BC, Canada

Return to posts index

achille lalonde
on Jan 9, 2011 at 6:46:28 pm

addendum to my post re DVD not playing on tabletop machine

it was burned on two different brands of DVD+R media... is this an issue?

cheers,
achille

achille lalonde
independent film maker
Nelson, BC, Canada

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jan 9, 2011 at 8:06:43 pm

You may want to spend a little time with the manual and get the basics of DVD authoring.

You are still making a HD DVD, even with SD assets a HD DVD will only work in a Mac.

Then why are you changing GOP structure and the like in Compressor. You need to start with DVD presets and modify them as needed but you NEVER change the GOP structure, especially if you don't know what you are doing.

Then DVD-R should be used and not DVD+Rs (but that is not your problem here.

Return to posts index

achille lalonde
on Jan 10, 2011 at 9:52:15 pm

Michael ,
thank you for your response.

With respect to "a little time with the manual", please forgive my ignorance, however despite the year i spent in film school , and hours of recent online tutorials, i am regrettably still not much of an under the hood kind of guy... i am a one man "studio" with no budget for technical assistance, therefore here i am at The Cow...

You indicate ...
"You are still making a HD DVD, even with SD assets a HD DVD will only work in a Mac."

thanks for that tip... discovered i had neglected to re set preferences for the DVDSP.

with respect to GOP settings;
In my last round in Compressor 3.5 i used that QT movie as source, and selected "DVD:Fastest Encode 90 minutes". I have compared the summary from my saved .compressor file and the summary for a fresh job with the same settings (using same source file from FCP). Line by line i see no difference between the default settings and those from my saved project. With respect to your specific reference to my GOP settings i see no difference whatsoever (unless i somehow inadvertently changed the default settings).

Your response brings up a further question; with respect to DVD-R as compared to DVD+R... why is one preferred over the other, is it a matter of a more universal compatibility? (i have started to research this question a bit, however if someone had a definitive answer or thread you could point me to i would greatly appreciate it. As is usual on the web i find despairing information on this topic from various sources. On that note i appreciate this forum has some solid foundation behind it, with reputed long time contributors.

cheers,
achille

achille lalonde
independent film maker
Nelson, BC, Canada

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jan 10, 2011 at 11:28:54 pm

[achille lalonde] ". i am a one man "studio" with no budget for technical assistance, therefore here i am at The Cow..."
So am I but I make it a habit of knowing how to operate the software I need to do my job. This is not "under the hood" stuff it is DVD Authoring 101. Some things are not clear in manuals and some things fall through the cracks and that is what the Cow is for, not to replace reading the manual.

GOP structure - NOPE default for every Apple preset is IBBP and size is 12 for 24fps and 15 for 30 fps

In general we post our opinion which is normally based on years of experience as well as what we have read from others along the way. I know what works for me, I know what most others things about things, I don't document them The DVD-R vs +R was settled years ago and there is no reason (for me) to every address it. What I do know is that I have burned thousands of DVDs for hundreds of DVDs that have been mass replicated to just having several duplicated copies. Of the DVDs coming out of my systems I can count on one hand the disc that have had a playback problem. (other than disc that don't play because I did something wrong in authoring).

But everything thing on the Cow is offered as take it or leave (don't mean that in a rude away), some people are more technical/engineer types. The key to the cow is finding people you trust and follow there advice.

Return to posts index

Bryan Michael  Stoller
on Mar 28, 2011 at 6:05:15 pm

Does anyone know why DVD Studio Pro doesn't work with HD files to make a Blu-ray disc? Everytime I use compressor to make a 19 gig file of my movie, it won't import into DVD Studio Pro. Studio Pro keeps saying it's an incompatible format -- but how can it be if compressor made it? It does work in Toast to make the blu-ray, but I wanted to authorize a better disc using DVD Studio Pro, but it won't let me. Any suggestions as to why this won't work?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]