FORUMS: list search recent posts

Burning HD content to SD 4.75 DVD-R

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
William Franklin
Burning HD content to SD 4.75 DVD-R
on Nov 10, 2010 at 4:36:09 pm

From what Ive read it is possible to burn HD content to a standard DVD.
I am wanting to know the correct procedure for doing this. Using DVD studio Pro 4.

My specfic scenerio is I have footage digitized through FCP (8-BIT uncompressed 4.2.2. 1920x1080, and also Apple Pro Res HQ 4.2.2. 1920x1080).
What i was doing is building the DVD like normal and then under the Display settings for each track choosing 16x9 Display. And Also doing the same for the Menu.
Is there a better way (or more correct way) of doing this?
I am assuming one cant get true HD on a standard DVD and I am ok with that. But I am just wondering if I am losing quality by leaving out an important step. In DVD studio pro there is the option of changing the disc (Under General - DVD standard) to HD DVD... but if im not burning to a blue-Ray does this apply?
I've also read some people running their footage through compressor.... is this a necessary step?
Also a final note whatever i burn I want to make sure it can be played on a MAC/PC and also a regular DVD player. I am trying to create a standard workflow, and not knowing what the final display of the DVD will be i want to know what should generally work on all Display formats.

Thanks
William

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: Burning HD content to SD 4.75 DVD-R
on Nov 10, 2010 at 6:07:05 pm

HD DVD can only be played back on Macs, it is a dead format.

Return to posts index

Steve Brame
on Nov 10, 2010 at 7:11:13 pm

[William Franklin] "I am assuming one cant get true HD on a standard DVD and I am ok with that. But I am just wondering if I am losing quality by leaving out an important step."

Correct assumption. Not only can you not get "true HD on a standard DVD", you can't get ANY HD on a standard DVD...at all.

Since your HD footage is being downsized to SD, so you will indeed lose quality.

Steve Brame
creative illusions Productions

Return to posts index

William Franklin
on Nov 10, 2010 at 8:44:30 pm

Thanks for the info guys.

So i gather pretty much the way im doing it is right, and the only thing i can do is change the display settings of the tracks to 16x9 for letterboxing to footage.

Return to posts index

Steve Brame
on Nov 10, 2010 at 11:51:09 pm

Yep...that's probably the most efficient method. We've had cases where our client specified HD for a 30 or 60 sec commercial spot, only to find out that the outlets that they needed it sent to didn't do commercial spots in HD, and letterbox wasn't an option either, so we had to re-edit to 4:3.

That would be the 'inefficient' method.

Steve Brame
creative illusions Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]