FORUMS: list search recent posts

Do I need to match the preferences in DVD Studio Pro with my setting in Compressor?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Doyle
Do I need to match the preferences in DVD Studio Pro with my setting in Compressor?
on Nov 10, 2010 at 1:35:35 am

Hi, any help with this very basic (I'm sure) problem would be very much appreciated. I'm editing in the latest Final Cut Studio. Just edited a HD project from footage shot with the Sony EX3 and Canon 7D. When finished editing (on Mac Pro), I sent the file to Compressor and used DVD Best Quality 90 mins (as the project is 1 hr and 20 mins).

This is 2.0 Dolby audio at 192kbps and the MPEG-2 is 6.2mbps 2-pass. I'm fairly new to DVD Studio Pro. In 'Preferences' do I need to do anything with the bit rates? Are the bit rates not already set in Compressor?

In the encoding 'Preferences' of DVD Studio Pro, I have two options: MPEG-2 SD and MPEG-2 HD. Do I use MPEG-2 SD when I'm using SD source footage, and use MPEG-2 HD when I'm using HD source footage, as in this case?

If so, in the MPEG-2 HD window, the Bit Rate is 18.0 and the Max Bit Rate is 27.0. Do I need to change this to match the settings from Compressor (6.2)?

Also, people say that I shouldn't ever put my bit rate above 6.5 in DVD Studio. But the bit rate calculator says 7.4 and max bitrate 9.6. Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: Do I need to match the preferences in DVD Studio Pro with my setting in Compressor?
on Nov 10, 2010 at 1:50:20 am

Personally I think VBR encoding for 90 minutes is a wast of time. CBR at 6.2Mbps will be faster to encode and safer on playback. High bitrate VBR can cause playback issues unless you are replicating the DVD. For DVD-Rs I would not go over 7 Mbps (max)

The prefs are only for video that has not been encoded before you bring it into DVDSP so you do not need to match it up.

Return to posts index

Richard Doyle
Re: Do I need to match the preferences in DVD Studio Pro with my setting in Compressor?
on Nov 10, 2010 at 1:54:47 am

Great thanks. Just to clarify: once I "export using Compressor" and apply DVD Best Quality 90 mins, the settings that are applied in Compressor (6.2) are fine for the job?

When you say VBR is overkill for 90 mins, how would I change that? The only option I have is to drop 'DVD Best Quality 90 mins' on my file while in Compressor.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]