FORUMS: list search recent posts

BluRay for data transfer

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Cole
BluRay for data transfer
on Nov 6, 2010 at 6:11:29 pm

I need to find a way for a shooter in another town to send me files as efficiently as possible. The size precludes FTP. We're thinking of BluRay.

I don't want to make a huge investment, as I see this as a very temporary situation.

I don't have a burner or reader. Do you have any rec's as to a good, easy-to-install BluRay burner/reader, which I could attach either to a PC or a Mac? Is the Xbox a viable solution for this?

Thanks!

Bob C

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
Re: BluRay for data transfer
on Nov 7, 2010 at 1:01:36 am

Blu Ray would be a bad option as well. Have him send the files on a HDD and overnight it.

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Nov 7, 2010 at 3:02:21 am

[eric pautsch] "Blu Ray would be a bad option as well."

Just curious - why? Amount of data that can be stored? Reliability?

I've been using HDD's but they're sort of a nuisance (more trouble to ship, a little too expensive to treat as one-ways).

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Nov 7, 2010 at 3:27:14 am

How much data are we talking? You're talking about going out and buying BD burner, installing it, discs, time it takes to burned 25g (about 45 mins). You can get 1.5T drive for $100 and ship it for next day delivery. You do the math! :)

You said its temporary so use a temporary delivery solution like HDD.

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Nov 7, 2010 at 9:47:00 am

[eric pautsch] " You do the math!"

Good points. Never thought of the burning time. Makes sense.

Even so, BluRay does appeal to me as a more robust and less expensive delivery vehicle. More fully, this situation is a low-budget job for a non-profit, and a remote shooter documenting an ongoing process (at most one hour footage/day), and I need to keep tabs on what he's getting. It would be as much as a weekly update. BluRay is his workflow and he is willing to absorb the time to burn a disk. All I would need is a reader.

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Nov 7, 2010 at 10:41:52 am

It all depends. If its on going with a small amount of data to be delivered, it will work. It wouldn't for me since I have clients delivering Hundreds of gigabytes or Terabytes of files. The pioneer drives are great and run under $200

Return to posts index

Dave Haynie
on Nov 7, 2010 at 4:59:20 pm

The question is, how temporary.

I have both a BD-R drive and two kinds of SATA "docks" in my PC. This makes it easy to burn BD-Rs, as well as mount a variety of 3.5" and 2.5" HDDs.

If this is going to be an on-going thing, with this guy sending you a 25GB-or-less shoot on a regular basis, you might go with Blu-Ray. If it's inherently one way, you could save a few bucks getting a BD-ROM drive at your end, but the BD-R is also quite useful for archives (I have project media on HDDs, everything on a RAID, and archives of everything on BD and DVD... never puts your eggs in a single basket).

You should just as well send an HDD back and forth. It holds quite a bit more, and with TB drives in the >$60 range, that's not a bad option. But it's also a bit of a pain, if you don't need all that data... you have to package an HDD very well for shipping, or expect it to be broken when you get it.

Another option... I assume, given the fact you're asking, is that at least one of you is tapeless, so HDV tapes or similar are not an option. How about a couple of extra 16GB or 32GB SDHC cards. I'm seeing 32GB cards closing in on $50. You can put one of these in a protective case and drop it in a first-class envelope or CD mailer for shipping.

-Dave

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]