FORUMS: list search recent posts

Burning a dvd ready for later

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Amanda Duff
Burning a dvd ready for later
on Oct 24, 2010 at 3:21:44 am

Hi,
I am in a position where I use sony Architect v9 and make DVD's that may or may not be requested/loaned out at a later date. AT the moment, I "make DVD", burn to disc, print the cover and it gets catalogued. I have now been requested to keep the dvd's on 'hard drive' until such time as they are requested, then burn to dvd etc.

I only know how to do that by re-opening the architect 'project' then going through the 'make dvd' options again.

Is that correct? Or is there a way I can just save the file in 'dvd format' but place it in a removable drive and then when time comes to burn I just burn somehow from there? i.e. I don't want to have to keep going back into the project, I would rather have it 'waiting to go' like it's sitting on a library shelf ready to loan if you know what I mean.

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
Re: Burning a dvd ready for later
on Oct 24, 2010 at 9:22:51 am

Once you have a .img, (which can be burnt in Toast at any time), you can put in on a drive and take it off whenever you require to burn a disc. I keep mine on my MacPro hard drive for a while as they don't use up much space but for a longer time I'd put it on an external drive.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Amanda Duff
on Oct 24, 2010 at 9:45:57 am

Thank you so much. If it's on an external drive will it burn fine if its separate from all the original files (I mean does it need to refer back to the project or is it fine in a separate place?

Thanks this is really helpful.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Oct 24, 2010 at 6:39:51 pm

Amanda, provided you export your film as a 'self contained' movie it should be fine as all the required media will be in that file. A 'by reference' export means, by definition, that reference to the media has to be available. You had better check me on this but that is what I've always been led to believe. A self contained export takes rather longer than a by reference one which tells me I'm probably correct.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Amanda Duff
on Oct 24, 2010 at 10:57:54 pm

Thank you.
Sorry out posts are crossing over as i'm still on mediation due to being new.
Can I confirm then, that I am EXPORTING to an IFO SELF CONTAINED file? I was thinking I was 'burning as an ifo' so now i now where to look. Am back at work today and will look into that. thank you again.

Return to posts index

Amanda Duff
on Oct 24, 2010 at 9:58:40 am

I forgot to mention I do have the nero suite 10 so could I do it through there? Thank you for your help.

Return to posts index

Christopher Smith
on Oct 26, 2010 at 3:32:19 pm

Amanda, I don't know the specifics of Sony Architect, but there should be a way to "build" the DVD to a folder on your hard drive (let's call that folder "DVD 12"). Inside DVD 12, you will find two folders AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS
The AUDIO_TS folder will be empty and that's fine, because it is there for the sake of DVD spec requirements only.

You can then store your folder DVD 12 wherever you'd like—on your hard drive, on an external drive, on an LTO tape cartridge—and then burn your DVD later from the contents of "DVD 12" folder.

Toast is a Mac program, and as you're using Sony Architect, I imagine you're using a PC. However, I'll explain the process for Toast, and you can match up the steps with your DVD burning software. In Toast, I specify I want to burn a DVD from a VIDEO_TS folder, and just drag in my VIDEO_TS folder, and it takes care of the AUDIO_TS folder and names the disc the same name as the outer folder (in our example, "DVD 12").

The workflow you propose is the one I use all the time.

Christopher Smith

CBN WorldReach

Return to posts index

Amanda Duff
on Oct 27, 2010 at 8:38:52 am

Thank you so much.
Yes I am using a PC and have Nero for my burning software.
I will look into that.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]