FORUMS: list search recent posts

scene replacement

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve McCurdy
scene replacement
on Oct 23, 2010 at 3:04:39 pm

I have a long show that I want to customize per customer with THEIR client on camera asking the key questions and then our "generic" answers. We used to call this a Donut show. The donut was pre-built and we just edited in the "hole" and dubbed. SURELY with DVD authoring there is a simple way to isolate the "QUESTION" and just encode the questions and drop them into a DVD edit list and burn individual DVDs without re-coding the entire show for each version. What is the simple workflow I'm searching for here? I am moving from Online editing in a massive room to the magic of FinalCutPro and DVD - but am BRAND new.

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
Re: scene replacement
on Oct 23, 2010 at 3:55:08 pm

Create chapter markers between each question. Set Chapter End Jumps for each chapter targeting another track which contains your answer. After the answer return back to that same chapter.

The only thing to keep in mind is that MPEG 2 video is not frame accurate when creating chapters. You are generally limited to every 15th.

Return to posts index

Steve McCurdy
on Oct 23, 2010 at 4:04:01 pm

Thank you so much. I'm sure you are correct but you are past my competence already. I guess I need to find a good tutorial on how DVDs think.

What I want is a DVD chapter master file where I can go in and replace chapters 26, and 28 (the two questions with one answer at 27 and the other at 29 already in the master DVD file) for each client and then burn and copy 10 of THAT DVD for THAT client and move to the next. If I can't substitute the two "question" files, encode, and burn inside of 2 hours it isn't economically worth it.

With that new info... how would you guide me?

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Oct 23, 2010 at 8:07:39 pm

First you have to learn how to author DVDs.

Does this DVD flow from one question/answer to the next or is the viewer clicking on a menu and only one question is being answered at a time?

Return to posts index

Steve McCurdy
on Oct 23, 2010 at 8:28:03 pm

It is a continuous movie. I am trying to make two "cuts" flow with replaceable footage and minimum recoding.

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Oct 24, 2010 at 12:30:05 am

Yeah you'll need to do some tutorials first to get up to speed first. I can give you general advice but to give you a step by step over a forum would be impossible.

Basically you need to divide your questions up by chapters by scrubbing the timeline to the point you need and press "M" to lay down a chapter marker. If you click on a chapter you can set what that chapter does after it is complete by setting the End jump. This goes to another track which contains your answer. After the answer track is complete, you set its End Jump back to the chapter where you left off.

Return to posts index

Christopher Smith
on Oct 26, 2010 at 3:42:53 pm

Steve,

You certainly can author these discs to use chapters for questions and answers.

However, you say you'd like to reduce the time required to encode the various versions (for each client). In that case, I would use separate track for your company's content up to the client question, then a track for client question 1, then track for company answer, then track for client question 2, then track for final answer.

That way, you keep the encoded company tracks on your hard drive (for reuse), and only have to encode the two client question tracks for each new client. Then drop them into the project and rebuild the custom DVD.

Hope this helps.

Christopher Smith

CBN WorldReach

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]