FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can DVD "PLAYER" (not recorder) damage DVD movie when section of movie is re-wound and viewed continuously?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Pustai
Can DVD "PLAYER" (not recorder) damage DVD movie when section of movie is re-wound and viewed continuously?
on Oct 19, 2010 at 4:10:03 am

Is it possible that re-winding and repeating the viewing of a five-minute section of a home-created DVD (Verbatim printable DVD-R, 16X blank DVD used to create the movie) will cause that section to "degrade" from the constant use of the DVD player? Here are the details. I recorded a TV movie on a Panasonic DMR-EZ47V recorder. While watching the musical movie on a DVD player (GE, circa 2002), I did a "Fast Rewind" on one of the musical numbers to view that musical number again. The musical number was a section which lasted for about 5 minutes. I repeated that process about four times over and over continuously in the same viewing. In essence, I viewed that same five-minute section of the DVD four times in a row back-to-back. There were no problems with the audio or video quality of any of the repeats including the fourth repeated viewing. A day later, I viewed the same DVD movie. When the movie came to that section that I had repeated four time a day earlier, the movie stopped, skipped and didn't play through completely. I tried the DVD on a more recent Phillips player and had the same problem. Once that five-minute musical section was passed, the DVD movie played normally. Has anyone ever had a similar experience? I have done this before with professionally recorded DVD's with seemingly no problems. Verbatim DVD's are supposed to be one of the best quality DVDs available. Is is possible that the constant four-time repeat resulted in the "reading laser" to "heat" that section of the Verbatim DVD media, resulting in damage to the recorded code on the DVD? If "yes", then why was the fourth viewing in a row not a problem? Many thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Can DVD "PLAYER" (not recorder) damage DVD movie when section of movie is re-wound and viewed continuously?
on Oct 19, 2010 at 3:08:57 pm

Anythings possible but discs are meant to playback hundreds if not thousands of times- are you sure you didn't scratch it or get a fingerprint smudge on it from handling- far more likely culprit...

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Canon 5D Mark II and 7D.

Return to posts index

John Pustai
Re: Can DVD
on Oct 19, 2010 at 11:25:50 pm

Hi Noah,
My "Thank You" and my "Apology". "Thank You" for the smudge suggestion. I immediately looked at the back of the DVD. Fingerprint smudge visible. Smudge removed. DVD put into old (Circa 2001) DVD player and that section that was allegedly defective played PERFECTLY THREE TIMES in a row. "Apology" for not checking for smudge. My humble reason was that the exact seven minutes of video/audio that I had re-wound and played over and over four times was the same section that was damaged. So, I immediately thought it was the re-playing as the "root cause" and not thinking of a simple smudge. My immediate thought was the re-playing caused the problem Curious that the smudge came over the exact same section of the video that I had re-played. I wonder what is the probability of that happening. Again, my "Thank You" for your help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]