FORUMS: list search recent posts

Data DVD or UDF for replicator?

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Merillo
Data DVD or UDF for replicator?
on Oct 5, 2010 at 9:01:01 pm

Hi guys. I have a quick question. I authored a hybrid DVD that has both video and ROM contents. My questions is what kind of disc should I send the image on to the replicator? For the test discs I've sent them in the past, I sent them regular data DVDs with the image file on it. But I've been reading that a hybrid or ROM product should be burned on a UDF DVD? (But maybe that's only if the disc is going to get used as the actual product as opposed to for replication). What should I actually use?

I've authored a lot of video DVDs but I haven't authored many hybrids for replication. Just want to make sure I send the replicator the best possible disc for replication. I'm planning on sending data DVDs (not UDF) because they haven't asked for anything different.

Thanks for the help!

Avid MC, OSX 10.5.6, MacPro QuadCore G5 2.6, NVidia GE Force 120, QT Pro 7.6.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Data DVD or UDF for replicator?
on Oct 6, 2010 at 12:36:08 am

What you sent is fine- for most replicators. They will let you know if it's not...

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Canon 5D Mark II and 7D.

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Oct 8, 2010 at 6:39:54 am

hi chris,
if you would like to have a full working hybrid DVD, with VIDEO_TS and DVD_ROM-data on it it used to be a real UDF-DVD, because a VIDEO-DVD is UDF by spec, otherwise it wont be played in stand-alone-players.

you need to create a DDP-image for replication that containing ALL your data (video_TS, audio_ts and your ROM-content).

the easiest way to do so is to create your DDP-image and burn it on an optical disk using file-formate UDF for the disk.

there will be one folder (layer 0) for DVD-5, or two folders (layer 0 and layer 1) for DVD-9

each of them needs to be burn on a DVD-R-5. best is to send a duplicate as well in fact as they┬┤ll have read/write errors on the disk.

label them carefully with the layers and you wont have a problem with your replication.

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Oct 9, 2010 at 1:08:56 am

Has not been my experience ever... but YMMV.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Canon 5D Mark II and 7D.

Return to posts index

Jeff Favalo
on Oct 12, 2010 at 3:20:17 pm

Any replicator should be able to work with either format. As a former replicator, I would always prefer to receive a DDP imagae as i can basically bring that right into an LBR (laser beam recorder) for glass mastering without having to do any conversion of supplied files. If you are to create DDP images, I would confirm with the glass mastering house (or replicator) what DDP format they require. I agree with Danny that you should create a working disc as well and label them properly. The replicator may end ups using that if it passes analysis and is written in the proper format.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]