FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD that plays correctly 16:9 footage on 4:3 and 16:9 displays.

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ovito Feroz
DVD that plays correctly 16:9 footage on 4:3 and 16:9 displays.
on Sep 29, 2010 at 4:47:34 pm

Hi there!

I need to make a SD DVD with some footage that was shot in HD (16:9) that, after scaling it, plays the aspect ratio on both 4:3 and 16:9 displays without getting any image cropping or distortion.

Whats the best way of doing it? 4:3 letterbox?

I would really appreciate if you could help me - and send me some links i could get more information from.

Thank you very much !!

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: DVD that plays correctly 16:9 footage on 4:3 and 16:9 displays.
on Sep 29, 2010 at 9:23:34 pm

Encode the video as 16:9 SD m2v. In DVDSP or whatever app you are using set the video track to 16:9 Letterbox. That is all you have to do.

Return to posts index

Dave Haynie
Re: DVD that plays correctly 16:9 footage on 4:3 and 16:9 displays.
on Oct 1, 2010 at 9:47:18 am

The way to do this without cropping is letterboxing, which is usually the default. For 16:9 content played back on a 4:3 display, the DVD player has two choices: letterboxing or "pan and scan". This is actually controlled in the DVD player's setup menu -- a user can select widescreen or P&S preference.

Most of the time, you want letterboxing. It's possible to author a DVD with pan and scan vectors (though I haven't used an authoring program that supports this) to allow you to decide how the cropping will occur when viewed in P&S mode.

My feeling is that, if I wanted 4:3, I would have shot for 4:3, so letterboxing is the only option. But I'm usually shooting with Blu-Ray/HD in mind anyway... 4:3 is rapidly becoming a thing of the past.

-Dave

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]