FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD Studio Pro: "incompatible format"

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephanie Holz
DVD Studio Pro: "incompatible format"
on Sep 18, 2010 at 10:30:12 pm

Arg, I'm trying to author a DVD but can't import my asset, keeps saying "Incompatible format".

I've got a 2 minute FCP file I need to make into a looping DVD in DVD Studio Pro.
Video is 1080i HDV 16-bit, 48 kHz

I've matched the DVD Studio setting as best as possible to HD (rather than SD),...have tried quicktime Movie and Quicktime conversion. I've also tried Compressor, but compressor hasn't accepted files...

please advise, thanks!!

thanks!!!!!
-SH

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: DVD Studio Pro: "incompatible format"
on Sep 19, 2010 at 2:51:35 am

[Stephanie Holz] "I've matched the DVD Studio setting as best as possible to HD (rather than SD"
And you have no plans to play this disc on anything other than an Intel Mac, correct? cause that is all that will play it back.

[Stephanie Holz] "I've also tried Compressor, but compressor hasn't accepted files...
"

What does that mean?

Return to posts index

Stephanie Holz
on Sep 19, 2010 at 7:13:10 am

Hi thank you for responding. I need the DVD to play on a normal non-computer DVD player. Why will it only play on a computer? What program/ settings should I use to get from FCP to DVD?

What I meant about compressor is that I can get files into compressor but when I "submit" them, I get error messages and exclamation points in yellow triangles. But I heard compressor makes the best quality.

Thanks for your help!

thanks!!!!!
-SH

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Sep 19, 2010 at 8:24:29 pm

How do you expect a SD DVD player to play back HD content.

You have to convert the HD video to SD m2v for it to work, you have to author a SD DVD for it to playback in a DVD player.

If your compressor is only having trouble with this file the file maybe the issue. If Compressor cannot encode any file you may need to reinstall compressor but it needs to be fully uninstalled first.

http://www.digitalrebellion.com/fcs_remover.htm

Return to posts index

Stephanie Holz
on Sep 21, 2010 at 10:43:21 pm

Thanks this is helpful. I still haven't solved my issue yet. So tell me this,

My sequence in FCP is 1440 x 1080 (thought it was 1920 x 1080 but according to the FCP log, it is not), compressor: HVD, 1080i60, 48 KHz, 32-bit floating point. Its an crude animation made up entirely of still images. 2.5 minutes long.

I need a DVD to play on a standard DVD player.

Should I be exporting to compressor first or via Quicktime movie or quicktime conversion, and THEN Compressor? And then after that, to DVD Studio Pro? I learned to export via quicktime movie, and then directly to DVD Studio pro, but when I do this, my assets status light is yellow, which I read means then files haven't been encoded. And, what settings should I be using? Should the ration be set to 16/9 or 4/3?

Is it possible to get a DVD with sharp images? I have so far only seen a dramatic drop in resolution, images look like they're underwater.

Thank you for all your help!!
Stephanie

thanks!!!!!
-SH

Return to posts index

Stephanie Holz
on Sep 21, 2010 at 11:22:55 pm

Ok a little progress: I went from FCP to compressor directly and the output looks pretty good. Not quite as sharp as in FCP but not like it's underwater anymore.

Now the problem seems to be DVD studio pro, won't accept it--- an encoding problem I think judging from the yellow status lights.

Thank you so much for any advice you can offer!!!

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Sep 23, 2010 at 9:03:04 am

Stephanie, try the encoding software BitVice. It's fantastic and does a supurb downscale from HD to SD as well as encoding your M2V and ac3 (audio) files. I use no other and am very happy with my DVD's from original camera files on S x S cards in the EX1.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Stephanie Holz
on Sep 23, 2010 at 3:54:12 pm

Ok I'll try that thanks. Do I use it with the original FCP file or with the post-compressor file? Is it pre-DVD studio pro or in stead of---

Thanks so much for your help!

thanks!!!!!
-SH

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Sep 23, 2010 at 7:19:56 pm

Stephanie, I don't edit with Final Cut, I'm on Media 100 but what I do is export the finished film as a Quick Time .Mov then drag into BitVice and make all the various settings and end up with the M2V and ac3 files for importing into Studio Pro for building and formatting. I don't go near Compressor as I burn the .img I get from Studio Pro in Toast (version 10).

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Stephanie Holz
on Sep 23, 2010 at 8:17:46 pm

Hi, so DVD happily accepted the files from BitVice, but the image is super-pixelated. The Quicktime movie, however, looks sharp. The resolution is dropping to 720 x 480 (correct? for a DVD),... is there a way to keep the image sharp?

your help is much appreciated!

thanks!!!!!
-SH

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Sep 24, 2010 at 8:14:36 am

I'm in PAL country so the dimensions are different. I'm not quite sure of your work flow but all I was doing was to guide you to BitVice which I consider to be the best encoder available to us apart from the multi thousand Hollywood encoders. There are many variables that you may have got wrong and there are experts on this forum far better than me to advise. I was disappointed at first with my DVD's, especially after the quality of tape masters but gradually I refined the process and new versions of BitVice and Toast helped.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]