FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD Architect multi angles preparation error

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gael Doyen
DVD Architect multi angles preparation error
on Sep 10, 2010 at 8:06:40 am

Hi everyone,

I am experiencing a very strange problem with DVD Architect 5.0b. All my media files are avi files rendered from Vegas 9.0c, using the default avi DV Pal widescreen template, and are imported correctly into DVDA. My project consists of 1 audio track and three video tracks, each with synchronized footage on the timeline, to be burn onto a double layer DVD. The project has been "optimized" and the rendering process starts normally. But everytime the render process ends and the file creation starts, I get an error message (unknown error, cause could not be determined) sometimes after 2gb have been written in the prepare folder, sometimes after 6gb, 4, etc... It never goes through. I don't understand what's wrong, maybe that I missed something??? I've been trying to prepare this DVD for 10 days now and tried everything I could think of (defrag, uninstalling and reinstalling, installing DVDA 4, killing unnecessary processes, etc)... I have never had problems to prepare multi angles DVDs before. It seems other people are having the same problem to create multi angles DVDs. Any hints on what could lead me to a solution?

Many thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Gael Doyen
Re: DVD Architect multi angles preparation error
on Feb 7, 2011 at 2:16:25 pm

For those encountering the same problem, I had found a workaround...! I had imported all the avi files into Vegas 7 and re-rendered them as DV-AVI files, without any recompression needed. It seemed to fix a problem introduced by later versions of Vegas. Then, using those files in DVD Architect 4 worked perfectly and mu multi-angle project was prepared without any problem.

But...

I am currently working on a new multi-angle project, which this time needs to be recompressed because it is too large for a double layer DVD. I worked with Vegas 10 / DVD Architect 5.2, thinking the bugs had been fixed in those new versions. They were obviously not...! I have followed the same procedure as above but I het the same error messages as before, namely "An error occurred while writing a file. The reason could not be determined". The preparation stops at approximately 57%, always at the same moment. The incomplete vob file is corrupt when I open it in Vegas: the audio and video "skip", like a scratched record, at the end of the file.

Any idea of what could be happening here?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Return to posts index

Gael Doyen
on Feb 8, 2011 at 10:37:41 am

Anyone?

Return to posts index

Gael Doyen
on Mar 15, 2011 at 9:21:39 am

Update on my problem...

I had a look at the temporary files corresponding to all the compressed videos used to compile the multi-angles DVD. I noticed that all of them are shorter and incomplete: it seems that DVD Architect reduces the size of all video segments to fit into the final DVD by reducing the length of the file instead of the bitrate. It is seriously odd but it explains why the partially rendered DVD is such a mess and unusable!

If I remove alternate angle videos to stay below the maximum DVD size, therefore without recompression needed, the project will prepare without problems. So it is the recompression of the avi files that is buggy. Is there any workaround?

Could someone please give me a hand with that problem, it is driving me crazy for good!

Return to posts index

Daniel Prantl
on Jul 5, 2011 at 8:33:12 pm

hello,

maybe this answer is a little late but hopefully it can resolve this problem I've been working with a long time now.
I've had the same error message (error writing file. the reason could not be determined) in many different settings, but all with very big file sizes involved. Researching in many different forums brought up that the "error writing file"-message only seems to show up under these circumstances (multi-angle projects, blueray, etc.., is to say "big" projects with reencoding). Now I realized that the error comes up in the process of disc preparation at the specific moment a VTS_01_10.vob should be created (as the other .vobs are bigger than 1 GB). A Number greater than 9 seems to be unallowed in the DVD specifications (file name length limit). Of course, this normally is not necessary as the maximun dvd size is about 8,5 GB. But even when DVD Architect states that the file size could be OK, this is just an estimation because the multiangle content is reencoded by DVDA (unfortunately this has to be).

The problem could thus be resolved (up to this moment, I hope this was the big fault), by setting the recompresion bitrate a bit lower, so that the estimation of DVD architect is about 1 GB below the DVD-size limit (about 7,5 GB).

I would be very interested if any other users observed the same behaviour in likewise situations and if reducing the resulting file size solves this issue.

Thanks in advance,

Daniel

Return to posts index

Gael Doyen
on Jul 6, 2011 at 7:28:57 am

Hi,

Actually I found out what was wrong and caused the error. It took me over one month scratching my head to find out what was going on: I was so desperate that I was about to give up and delete my entire project. So... I would always get the error at the very same moment of the project preparation, so I decided to remove all chapter markers and then it worked! Reimporting the markers one by one revealed that one of the chapters markers, despite being "valid" according to the application, was causing the error. Moving it to the next valid position (without the exclamation mark of course) fixed the problem temporarily as the project preparation would still fail but at a later position. So in the end around 4 or 5 markers were seemingly invalid and had to be moved. Enventually the project prepared completely. Very strange bug! I hope it will help other people facing the same problem!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]