FORUMS: list search recent posts

html flash dvd

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Danner
html flash dvd
on Aug 30, 2010 at 5:07:44 pm

I'm trying to figure out how to make a data dvd with menus using html and flash ... just like Video Copilot's "The Bullet" dvd. I think Creative Cow had a dvd that was built the same way.
My boss has an idea for a video data disc with a menu - and I think this might be the best option. Can anybody point me in the right direction to creating something like this? I'm thinking it's just a matter of creating a self contained "website" with the videos and menus - then burning a simple data disc.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: html flash dvd
on Aug 30, 2010 at 5:40:32 pm

That's not really a DVD per se but simply a website stored on a data disc... i.e. it would be playable only on a computer, not a standard DVD player.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Canon 5D Mark II and 7D.

Return to posts index

Dan Danner
on Aug 30, 2010 at 7:45:47 pm

yeah i know... my bad... I should have been more detailed. I'm making it for sales folks to do presentations with the videos we've made and they will be using laptops.

I'm making a self contained "website" but I'm using quicktime to play .mp4's so i can get better quality from the videos... it's coming out ok so far.

thanks Noah.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Aug 30, 2010 at 8:30:14 pm

Basically you need a program that lets you burn specific data in folders onto a disc. That can be done at the finder level with a burn folder or with more control via an application such as Toast.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Canon 5D Mark II and 7D.

Return to posts index

Dan Danner
on Aug 30, 2010 at 10:22:24 pm

I know of a great data burning software (pc) called imgburn... i don't know if there is a mac version.

imgburn is open source so it's free :)

thanks for the input noah!!

Return to posts index

Martin Curtis
on Aug 30, 2010 at 11:31:41 pm

[Dan Danner] "I'm thinking it's just a matter of creating a self contained "website" with the videos and menus - then burning a simple data disc"

I've done a couple of these. What you describe is pretty much it, but there are traps for the unwary.

Be very tight with your file organisation - people will have access to all the files so don't leave a mess. Watch your links: always use relative links. Don't use server-side code (unless the laptops are running a webserver). Test and re-test on the target laptops.

If you're putting video in the pages, the computer playing the website must be able to decode them. I wouldn't specify Quicktime unless it was guaranteed (and spelled out) that all the laptops had Quicktime on them.

In fact, why use a DVD at all? If these are laptops the sales people have, you could create the website, drop it on the intranet and get them to grab it themselves. That way you can update anytime without having to re-burn.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]