FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD Studio Pro -- some DVDs working in normal DVD player, others not

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brett Blake
DVD Studio Pro -- some DVDs working in normal DVD player, others not
on Aug 24, 2010 at 3:43:18 pm

Hi all-

I just burned 40 DVDs of a short film in DVD Studio Pro. They all worked perfectly when played on my Mac, but when I try and play them in normal DVD players, some work and some don't. The ones that do work in both players I've tried, and the ones that don't work in neither.

Since they are all exact copies of each other, I'm trying to figure out what the problem is. As far as I can tell there are three possible reasons for these differences:

1) Different brands of DVD. I bought 2 brands of the same type of DVD. Maybe one brand works better than the other?

2) Copies made by a DVD copier work worse than copies burned by DVD Studio Pro. I burned about 3 or 4 copies using DVD Studio Pro. The rest of the disks were burned using a DVD copying machine with 7 trays. All of the discs were verified by the copying machine, and then I played them on the computer, and they all worked fine.

3) Certain trays on the copy machine didn't work as well as others.

None of these really make sense as an explanation to me, but since these are the only three variables, it has to be one (or a combination). I need to submit this short to festivals, so it has to be sure to play both on computers and on DVD players. Any advice on what I should change when I make the next batch to guarantee that they work would be really appreciated. Also any insight into what went wrong would be helpful as well.

Thank you all so much!

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: DVD Studio Pro -- some DVDs working in normal DVD player, others not
on Aug 24, 2010 at 7:05:13 pm

Ha- I think you've answered your own question. Stick with one brand and don't use the multi-copier.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Canon 5D Mark II and 7D.

Return to posts index

Brett Blake
on Aug 24, 2010 at 8:00:36 pm

Brilliant!

Thanks for your response, Noah. I guess I'm trying to figure out which of the two is the problem by hearing about other people's experiences. Also, I'm curious if people have a specific brand of DVD they like using for this sort of thing.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Aug 25, 2010 at 3:33:22 pm

I use Sony and TDK the most. Anything that's not the cheapo Office Store brand or what have you...

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Canon 5D Mark II and 7D.

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Sep 1, 2010 at 3:51:12 pm

Taiyo Yuden disks have worked very well for me.

I'm surprised that a dedicated machine gives more errors. I always burn on a computer, and make sure that nothing else is happening during the burn.

Of the many other variables, the encoding bitrate is one of the most significant. A high bitrate may be more difficult for some DVD players to handle. Even if your movie is ten minutes long, experiment with a bitrate for 150 minutes and see whether that helps.

Good luck!

Bob C

Return to posts index

Hugh  C. Daly
on Nov 30, 2010 at 5:44:55 pm

I used HP DVD R- Blanks and Memorex DVD R+ Blanks.
I copied them using Nero Software for "DVD COPY"

In my Pansonic CD/DVD Player they all seemed to work. In my Samsung CD/DVD player some dubs would work and some would freeze and stop around the same area.
The program was under 3 minutes in length. If it IS the BITRATE of the individual players, how do I determine that?

Hugh C. Daly

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Nov 30, 2010 at 6:26:23 pm

[Hugh C. Daly] "If it IS the BITRATE of the individual players, how do I determine that?"
Freezing and stuttered playback is a clue, what was your Bitrate?

There are also two files DVDSP puts in the VIDEO TS folder that need to be removed. .LAYOUT and .LAY

The two brands of disc are not recommended ones and DVD+Rs are never recommended (at least by me).

For disc you should be using professional level disc, I have use Maxell Plus series for year with almost zero problems and like Taiyo Yuden. If you buy them from a professional media place in bulk they are normally cheaper than the cheap disc from a retail box store.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]