FORUMS: list search recent posts

VOBU length & number of sectors disagree, Eclipse 5.2

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Shirey
VOBU length & number of sectors disagree, Eclipse 5.2
on Aug 16, 2010 at 4:33:48 pm

Here's my problem, we've done several dual-layer projects over the years and never had a single problem using the same replicator, but this year we got the VOBU length error. The report sent to me said this:
[e] DVD 32 VOBU length & number of sectors disagree DSI: 209 <> Actual: 60

The first time they said for me to reauthor, which I did and nothing changed. Next time I rerendered all assets, rebuilt the menu and reauthored. I didn't actually get the report e-mailed from that but they said it was the same VOBU length and number of sectors disagree error. I don't know what else to try here and neither do they. Is it possible that every disc I've ever made has had this same error and the replicators are only seeing it now because the Eclipse software is up to version 5.2?

I guess my question is, if the discs we've burned from this image all play back fine in every DVD player I've tested in, on multiple brands of media, could the replicator just go ahead and press the copies with this "error" and we'd likely never experience a problem?

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
Re: VOBU length & number of sectors disagree, Eclipse 5.2
on Aug 16, 2010 at 5:19:17 pm

This is a fairly common issue when you send a DVD-R as your delivery media. You need to be sending DDP images on either DLT or USB drives.

Return to posts index

David Shirey
on Aug 16, 2010 at 5:33:19 pm

Thanks for the reply. It's never happened before but in the research I've done there's obviously a preference for DLT, which we don't have access to. USB is a good idea though. Obviously there's a 4gb file size limit on FAT32 formatted drives but I assume you can just format a flash drive for NTFS since replicators are running Eclipse on PC's right?

What worries me is the company I'm working with keeps telling me the problem would show up in the disc image when it's authored, not the actual media I'm using. According to them it's something in the authoring and not the delivery medium, but it's certainly one more thing I can try differently for the next version I send.

I'm still definitely interested to know if this error is the kind of thing that's just gone undetected in the past and could be replicated onto the discs without it really affecting playback.

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Aug 16, 2010 at 6:58:39 pm

Im sure it has gone undetected in the past but Eclipse will flag these issue so I'd assume most would stop there and see what the issue was.

Format your NTSF of course.

One thing to remember is that very few replicators know anything about authoring or authoring tools :)

Ive had this issue once before too when I ditched DLT delivery. Only USB pen drive after that. Here's an informative thread to read. Also do a google on that error and also do a search here and you'll find many more answers.

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/155/871419

Deliver DDPs on a USB pen drive. If there's no error you'll have saved the day!

Return to posts index

David Shirey
on Aug 17, 2010 at 7:54:30 pm

Just to follow up, after going out and buying a 16gb thumb drive, I finally heard back from the replicators that the specific error it was getting is "not known to cause playability issues." So, I told them to just go ahead and copy it with the "error" and as long as the discs play back perfectly in every player I've tried it on like the master does, then I think I'll be okay. In the future I'm definitely using the thumb drive to try and avoid this problem. Either that or find a replicator with an older version of Eclipse that doesn't care about errors that no one will ever notice :P

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Aug 17, 2010 at 9:19:31 pm

Like I said, replicators dont know anything but molding plastic. Just because you dont see issues doesnt means others wont. I wouldn't have done that but to each their own...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]