FORUMS: list search recent posts

International DVD Distribution

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jack Marck
International DVD Distribution
on Aug 13, 2010 at 5:19:37 pm

I've done some searching on these forums and I think I've found my answer but I wanted to check before I commit to it. I work for a company that makes stuff that gets sold in pretty much every country. We've been producing promo videos for our domestic(US) dealers to use in their stores but we want to branch out from that and distribute these DVDs internationally. We shoot DVCPROHD 720p on a HVX200 in either 60pn or 30pn mode. We produce our own masters using DVD Studio Pro and send them off to be replicated, not duplicated.

So, here's what I think we're going to try. If you have a better idea, please let me know.

Video will continue to be shot and edited in DVCPROHD 720p. Upon completion, this video will be exported as a quicktime file with all the same settings as the sequence. This exported video will be brought into Compressor, which will produce 2 versions of this video, one PAL and one NTSC. The DVD Studio Pro Project will be as two identical versions, one as a Region free version (NTSC) and the other as a Region 2/4 (PAL) version. This will yield two masters which will be replicated as two separate projects.

So...how do I proof the PAL project in the US? I know the 60hz scan line coincides with our electrical current over here, is it enough to get a PAL tv/dvd player combo and an adaptor to work with our outlets? I prefer to proof on devices as close to the final delivery method as possible so that would be cheap stuff that our dealers put in their stores for casual viewing by customers, not prosumer/home theater stuff.

Also, I know from reading these forums that I could probably get away with just distributing an NTSC version but I'd really like to do it right and the additional cost is pretty negligible.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: International DVD Distribution
on Aug 13, 2010 at 6:04:05 pm

[Jack Marck] "So...how do I proof the PAL project in the US? "
You buy a PAL DVD player and a PAL TV, they make them that use our AC. If is doesn't there would be no problem with using a convertor to get the correct voltage.

Compressor is not the best Standards convertor, if you just want to do it software without the expense of a hardware convertor (this would be the best) at least get Natress FIlters
http://www.nattress.com/Products/standardsconversion/standardsconversion.ht...

In DVDSP all regions are selected just leave it as that, normally there is no need to restrict the regions. Do you care if the NTSC version is played in Paris, if not I would leave them as default. Region codes have nothing to do with PAL/NTSC.

You have to author 2 separate projects, you cannot do mix standards within a title, you cannot import PAL assets into a NTSC project.

If there is something still not clear answer again.

Return to posts index

Jack Marck
Re: International DVD Distribution
on Aug 13, 2010 at 7:55:31 pm

I thought that if I'm compressing directly from DVCPRO-HD to PAL that I wouldn't need to change standards. Is that mostly just to conform to 25fps?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]