FORUMS: list search recent posts

Layer break woes...

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Brame
Layer break woes...
on Aug 10, 2010 at 10:39:02 pm

I've authored with Encore CS4, output a DVD folder to my hard drive from there. Created a new Gear Pro Mastering project with that folder, and GEAR detects a LB at 134131. I've mastered to DDP images and sent these to the replicator, and their Eclipse system is kicking out the LAYER BREAK NOT ON CELL BOUNDARY error.

I suppose that the LB that GEAR detects is being set by Encore, though I've read that if you output to a DVD folder on a hard drive, that a layer break isn't set. I've also read that Encore CS4 is notorious for layer break problems.

At any rate, I calculate an alternative LB with GEAR's LB spreadsheet, and it recommends 96100. So, I change the LB to 96100 in GEAR, and output a DVD+R DL just to see what happens. I bring the resulting VIDEO_TS in a new GEAR project, and it detects the LB as still being at 134131. For some reason the LB I set in GEAR isn't 'taking'. I'm at a loss for what to do next. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Steve Brame
creative illusions Productions

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
Re: Layer break woes...
on Aug 10, 2010 at 11:33:46 pm

If your delivering DDP images you should be delivering on DLT, USB drive or (2) single layer discs. Its just data folders. Dont send a DL disc. Just a thought...Ive always used AfterEdit.

Return to posts index

Steve Brame
on Aug 10, 2010 at 11:42:25 pm

Sorry..I'm delivering the DDP images on separate DVD5's. Failed to mention that. AfterEdit isn't an option.

Steve Brame

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Aug 11, 2010 at 12:03:21 am

Those cell boundry's in Encore anyways are chapter points. Make sure you set it on one of those. They need to be set to non-seamless as well. Another option might be to get a free dvd editor like PGC Edit and look for those valid chapter points and get the sector you need.

http://www.gearsoftware.com/support/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1174

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Aug 11, 2010 at 12:09:36 am

Oh and make sure the replicator know you're delivery DDP images....my oh my!!!!

http://www.gearsoftware.com/support/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1146

Return to posts index

Steve Brame
on Aug 11, 2010 at 12:46:53 am

"Those cell boundry's in Encore anyways are chapter points. Make sure you set it on one of those. They need to be set to non-seamless as well. "

Unfortunately, this is not an option in Encore CS4.

"Oh and make sure the replicator know you're delivery DDP images....my oh my!!!!"

They do. I'm on my 3rd set to them. They have also asked that I also send a DVD9 burned as a DVD-Video, which sort of makes me wonder. I've always been told that's a no-no.

Steve Brame

Return to posts index

Steve Brame
on Aug 11, 2010 at 12:50:25 am

Anyway, the problem I'm having is that I CAN'T change the layer break. GEAR will not override the one that is apparently set in Encore.

Steve Brame

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Aug 11, 2010 at 12:55:07 am

Dont set anything in Encore. Bring it into Gear and set it there. Read that link. PGC Edit might help finding that layer break as well.

Return to posts index

Roman Melekh
on Aug 11, 2010 at 9:56:40 am

Try to use "ImgBurn" utulity (windows)

You can create DVD-DL image, or burn to DVD-DL disk with automatically setting of layer break.

Return to posts index

Steve Brame
on Aug 11, 2010 at 12:30:35 pm

For some reason IMGBurn can't seem to change the break that Encore sets either. IMGBurn give me several options for a break, but no matter which I chose, when I take the project into GEAR for mastering it always sees the LB as being at 134131, whether I open an ISO or VIDEO_TS on a DVD+-R DL.

Steve Brame

Return to posts index

Steve Brame
on Aug 11, 2010 at 12:34:34 pm

I'm beginning to wonder if..

A - This is some sort of a 'false positive' from Eclipse.

B - If it will really cause a playability issue. I have played the discs I've burned on several set tops as we;; as PC's, and there isn't even a pause at the LB. I know that replicated discs aren't the same as duplicated, and that things can happen with rep discs that might not be evident in duped ones, so I'm wondering if I shouldn't just tell the rep house to ignore the warning.

Steve Brame

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Aug 11, 2010 at 12:37:58 pm

The disc your playing isnt whats in the DDPs. All image burn can do is find a suitable LB..as does PGC Edit. Gear sets that LB and writes out DDP images. Thats a fatal warning you have so I wouldn't ignore it. Have you asked your question on Gear's site? The engineers might know why Gear only wants to see that one location.

Return to posts index

Steve Brame
on Aug 11, 2010 at 12:53:29 pm

Exactly, except that GEAR wont override the LB that seems to be set by Encore. No matter what I change the LB to in GEAR, it always come out at 134131.

Yep...I posted this question yesterday in GEAR's forum. So far it has 64 reads, but no answer. I've also asked GEAR Tech support, but so far no answer from them.

Steve Brame

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Aug 11, 2010 at 12:59:16 pm

well somethings up...are you in LA? You can stop by my place and I'll write them for you.

Return to posts index

Steve Brame
on Aug 11, 2010 at 1:20:42 pm

Wow! That's a wonderful offer Eric. Unfortunately, I'm in NC. But thanks anyway.

Steve Brame

Return to posts index

Roman Melekh
on Aug 12, 2010 at 8:29:24 am

No...if your VIDEO_TS contain chapter or cell, that can be used as LB, ImgBurn will create 100% right DVD-DL disk.
Tested 1000000 times :)

Return to posts index

Mike Costantini
on Apr 19, 2014 at 1:29:30 am

Are there any other programs besides GEAR that can read a VIDEO_TS folder for a dual layer title and output DDP DVD-R discs for layer 0 and layer 1?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]