FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD burn/play issues

COW Forums : DVD Authoring

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam Danigelis
DVD burn/play issues
on Aug 4, 2010 at 2:32:30 am

Calling all the experts...

I'm using Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 10.0, Windows Vista and just getting started. I've had great success building some sample projects from HDV, and then burning to Blu-Ray right from the timeline. Couldn't have been simpler.

Now I'm trying to burn a DVD and it's not working. I've tried two different brands of media (Memorex, then Sony) DVD+RW, but although Vegas stated "completed burn without errors", discs would not play. I then tried burning with Windows Media Player, and got message "disc is not compatible with your drive. Try inserting a different kind of recordable media or use a disc that supports a write speed that is compatible with your drive."

I apologize ahead of time because I know that the answer to this is probably already in this magnificent website somewhere, but I just haven't found it. Thanks for your help, and keep it simple for a beginner.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: DVD burn/play issues
on Aug 5, 2010 at 6:13:44 pm

[Sam Danigelis] "DVD+RW"

have you tried regular DVD-R or +R disc? Also don't rule not you authored the disc wrong.

Return to posts index

Sam Danigelis
on Aug 5, 2010 at 6:47:22 pm

Michael,

Since I posted this, I tried playing with VLC media player, and got this message:

"Input can't be opened...check log"

Log: main info: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
main error: no access module matched "dvdsimple"
main error: open of `dvdsimple://E:\' failed: could not create access: no access module matched "dvdsimple"

I assume that Vegas is authoring disc for me in the proper manner. It seemed to work ok with Blu-Ray.

Thanks for the input. I'll try again with DVD-R and +R media and see what happens.

Return to posts index

Sam Danigelis
on Aug 7, 2010 at 8:42:32 pm

Michael,

DVD-R worked. A simple fix. Thanks again for your perfect advice. I noticed that the burn speed (RW media) was much higher (16X). Why is RW so problematic?

Return to posts index

Raj Nair
on Aug 10, 2010 at 10:55:41 am

I use CDBurner XP to burn DVDs. At the end of the process, the Lenovo laptop throws the blank DVD out saying "insert a writable disc". This happens even after using DVD+RW sony DVDs. Sometimes, if i insert a blank DVD, the laptop does not even recognise the DVD!

Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

Adrian Roup
on Aug 20, 2010 at 8:35:30 am

Hi Michael,
I've been hunting through the posts on SD DVD compatibility as I'm having some issues. My first attempt was encoding the .m2v with VBR - which I then switched the CBR at around 5.5 mbps or lower. Both times the DVD played in my Panasonic Blue Ray Player but not in my friends Samsung Blue Ray Player. The first (VBR) attempt also did not play in a normal SD DVD player even though it did play in my Panasonic Blue Ray player... I'm not sure what I can do to improve the all round compatibility of the SD DVD's. I'm using DVD-R disks - so probably worth trying DVD+R instead... However I've noticed you saying it could be that we with these issues have "authored the disk wrong" could you be a little more specific or provide some guidelines that might help me get on track with authoring? Is DVD+R a more widely compatible option than DVD-R? Do you think there's a chance that iDVD or Adobe Encore could produce a more stable / compatible disk?
Many thanks,
Adrian

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Aug 20, 2010 at 6:20:23 pm

[Adrian Roup] "ould you be a little more specific"
So you are asking me to give a specific answer to a unspecified question by another person.

Generic answers for DVD-R compatibility
Always use a top shelf brand of DVD-Rs (I only use Maxell Plus Series but others have their own recommendations)
Never go over 7 Mbps bitrate for CBR or VBR's max setting
Always use ac3 for audio

[Adrian Roup] "Do you think there's a chance that iDVD or Adobe Encore could produce a more stable / compatible disk?"
NO

[Adrian Roup] "but not in my friends Samsung Blue Ray Player."
Not all BluRay players will play DVD-R disc. If you want the most compatible disc you need to replicate them (which is normally at least a run of 1000). DVD-R will never be 100% compatible.

The is never a reason to use DVD+R over DVD-R (except for dual layer disc, which it is recommended using DVD DL+R).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]